The causes for wisdom

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: The causes for wisdom

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:It is like this, without hearing true Dhamma
How do you know it is "true Dhamma" that you are hearing? And I would guess that there is non-"true Dhamma," which is what us meditators are hearing.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
robertk

Post by robertk »

Saddhdhamma, true Dhamma is a frequentvterm in the tipitika to refer to the Buddhas teaching.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Mr Man wrote:What I find most interesting about robertk's practice is that it seems to be essentially faith based.
Hi Mr Man,

Thanks for bringing this up... one of the hindrances to the practice is actually doubt.

If the person doesn't trust the wisdom, or rather, the way that it is being apprehended (which in fact is the only way that we would encounter someone's wisdom), then he's not going to do the practice. It's one of the big hindrances.

:anjali:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

robertk wrote:You mean we quasi sokka gakkai :tongue:
So do you just work on panna, and leave aside sila and samadhi?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
robertk

Post by robertk »

When there is panna, for those brief moments one is free of illwill, lust and any harmful.factors. there is also samadhi at that time
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

beeblebrox wrote:
Mr Man wrote:What I find most interesting about robertk's practice is that it seems to be essentially faith based.
Hi Mr Man,

Thanks for bringing this up... one of the hindrances to the practice is actually doubt.

If the person doesn't trust the wisdom, or rather, the way that it is being apprehended (which in fact is the only way that we would encounter someone's wisdom), then he's not going to do the practice. It's one of the big hindrances.

:anjali:
Hi beeblebrox,
And interestingly it falls away at stream entry. So up till then it is there?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:Saddhdhamma, true Dhamma is a frequentvterm in the tipitika to refer to the Buddhas teaching.
But that does not answer the question and point raised: How do you know it is "true Dhamma" that you are hearing? And I would guess that there is non-"true Dhamma," which is what us meditators are hearing.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:
So do you just work on panna, and leave aside sila and samadhi?
When there is panna, for those brief moments one is free of illwill, lust and any harmful.factors. there is also samadhi at that time
So, in other words, what I am getting out of this is that one really does not need to worry about sila at all; one just has to make sure that one is listening to the "true Dhamma," and the "true Dhamma" really does not include any admonitions to actively cultivate sila or to actively cultivate concentration and mindfulness. By listening to the "true Dhamma" only, everything -- sila, insight, concentration -- happens because the listening to the "true Dhamma" alone is what sets up the conditions for those things to arise. Anything else is not "true Dhamma."

Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Would it be rude to say, without implicating any specific individuals, that this Sujin approach seems suspiciously and conveniently well crafted to allow a dhamma that allows one to not actually put in any real effort or do any real practice. Beyond I suppose, study and sila at most, as far as I can tell.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kenshou wrote:Would it be rude to say, without implicating any specific individuals, that this Sujin approach seems suspiciously and conveniently well crafted to allow a dhamma that allows one to not actually put in any real effort or do any real practice. Beyond I suppose, study and sila at most, as far as I can tell.
Unquestionably, it is unusual. While it may be a way of practice, the problem I have with what is being presented by the Sujin followers in this thread is what looks to be the unqualified rejection of any other way of practice as being actually efficacious or legitimate or taught by the Buddha.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Ben

Post by Ben »

Virgo wrote:This is a good related talk:

http://www.dhammastudygroup.org/audio/2 ... m-b-01.mp3
Related to what, exactly, Kevin?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Hi Virgo
Perhaps you could bring what you took from the talk to the discusion?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:Hi Virgo
Did you listen to it?

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Hi Virgo
Did you listen to it?
Yes I did. I think that it would be nice for Virgo to say how he relates the clip to this discusion though.