Looking for a quote

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Kare

Looking for a quote

Post by Kare »

I am looking for a half remembered quote from a sutta. It goes approximately like this: It is better for an ordinary person to think that the body is his self, than to think that the other four khandhas are his self.

I just can not remember where to find this. Can someone help me?
Mettāya,
Kåre
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a quote

Post by Sam Vara »

Hi Kare,

This one?
"It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Kare

Re: Looking for a quote

Post by Kare »

Yes, that's the one. Thanks a lot! :anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre