sutta for each step on the eightfold path

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

sutta for each step on the eightfold path

Postby alan... » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:23 pm

i know there are many for each step as well as mentions of each step or ideas that fit into each one throughout the canon, obviously every line fits somewhere.

i'm looking for something like the sammaditthi sutta MN 9 is for view, and satipatthana MN 10 is for mindfulness, and anapanasati MN 118 is for right concentration and so on but for each step. or other ideas on what is the single best sutta for each step beyond what i listed above. those are just ones i know of.

so 8 suttas total. each one should completely explain it's step. or whatever you can come up with.
alan...
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: sutta for each step on the eightfold path

Postby Sam Vara » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:26 pm

alan... wrote:i know there are many for each step as well as mentions of each step or ideas that fit into each one throughout the canon, obviously every line fits somewhere.

i'm looking for something like the sammaditthi sutta MN 9 is for view, and satipatthana MN 10 is for mindfulness, and anapanasati MN 118 is for right concentration and so on but for each step. or other ideas on what is the single best sutta for each step beyond what i listed above. those are just ones i know of.

so 8 suttas total. each one should completely explain it's step. or whatever you can come up with.


Why not go for them all in one hit, with the Magga-Vibhanga Sutta?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.008.than.html

Or, if you definitely want to make a "collection" of one sutta per path factor, you could just go to Access to Insight and type that factor into the search function. It will give you a choice of several. If not a whole sutta, a chunk of a sutta which explains it in detail.
User avatar
Sam Vara
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: sutta for each step on the eightfold path

Postby alan... » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
alan... wrote:i know there are many for each step as well as mentions of each step or ideas that fit into each one throughout the canon, obviously every line fits somewhere.

i'm looking for something like the sammaditthi sutta MN 9 is for view, and satipatthana MN 10 is for mindfulness, and anapanasati MN 118 is for right concentration and so on but for each step. or other ideas on what is the single best sutta for each step beyond what i listed above. those are just ones i know of.

so 8 suttas total. each one should completely explain it's step. or whatever you can come up with.


Why not go for them all in one hit, with the Magga-Vibhanga Sutta?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.008.than.html

Or, if you definitely want to make a "collection" of one sutta per path factor, you could just go to Access to Insight and type that factor into the search function. It will give you a choice of several. If not a whole sutta, a chunk of a sutta which explains it in detail.


i'm looking for a completely detailed exposition of each path factor. the sutta you referenced is more like a summary of each item. i'm looking for each path factor to be exhausted. i have done that on access but there are many to choose from and i want the opinions of people on here on which ones would be the best choices.
alan...
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: sutta for each step on the eightfold path

Postby polarbuddha101 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 am

A rather exhaustive sutta on right (mostly wrong) livelihood for a bhikkhu is here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... livelihood

For lay people right livelihood seems much simpler: "Monks, a lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison.

"These are the five types of business that a lay follower should not engage in."

Also, being an actor or a soldier seems to be no bueno as well: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html

But I think this link on access to insight is probably better than any compilation you'll get on here, although I wish you luck: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
User avatar
polarbuddha101
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 am
Location: California

Re: sutta for each step on the eightfold path

Postby alan... » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm

polarbuddha101 wrote:A rather exhaustive sutta on right (mostly wrong) livelihood for a bhikkhu is here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... livelihood

For lay people right livelihood seems much simpler: "Monks, a lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison.

"These are the five types of business that a lay follower should not engage in."

Also, being an actor or a soldier seems to be no bueno as well: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html

But I think this link on access to insight is probably better than any compilation you'll get on here, although I wish you luck: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html

:namaste:


cool thanks. that is a useful access link, very inclusive.
alan...
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm


Return to Classical Theravāda

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests