Help with Vipassana Mediation

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
pinkpadma

Help with Vipassana Mediation

Post by pinkpadma »

Ive tried it out once before and was very satisfied with the sensations and feelings it gave me but now its just ineffective...am i doing it wrong ?
daverupa

Re: Help with Vipassana Mediation

Post by daverupa »

You haven't actually said what you do...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

pinkpadma wrote:Ive tried it out once before and was very satisfied with the sensations and feelings it gave me but now its just ineffective...am i doing it wrong ?
As long as you see clearly that you are not satisfied, then seeing clearly is probably still quite effective.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

pinkpadma wrote:Ive tried it out once before and was very satisfied with the sensations and feelings it gave me but now its just ineffective...am i doing it wrong ?
Yes, you are doing it wrong.
The words "very satisfied with the sensations and feelings it gave me" give a strong indication that you've got the wrong approach.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
pinkpadma

Post by pinkpadma »

lojong1 wrote:
As long as you see clearly that you are not satisfied, then seeing clearly is probably still quite effective.
ok, thats a good thing. im very good at mental noting...but i dont feel like its leading me anywhere....impermanence seems like something outside of myself that i only understand intellectually instead of intuitively. any advice ?

when i get into posture and begin noting the rising and falling of the abdomen i am overwhelmed by sensations of my head being cramped and tight. Are the mental formations causing blockage in my etheric system ? ( i dont necessarily believe in the etheric system but thats seems like the only explanation, sorry if i deviated from traditional Buddhist views)
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Without knowing whose instruction you are following and where you want to be led, help is tough. You haven't done a retreat of any kind...
I wonder what would happen if you just simply sat wakefully following no instruction for 1 day, with minimal movement.
I think this would leave you with a better idea of where your current habits are already leading you and what you might like to change.
pinkpadma

Post by pinkpadma »

I just feel like no one has ever experienced or addressed my form of dukkha. :thinking: i think my problem lies somewhere within dependent origination but im not sure. i wont stop striving.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I wonder if the tension in the head is muscle tension related to focusing on the abdomen and the breath exclusively, else it may be due to the tongue being tensed somewhere in the mouth, pressing to the hard or soft palate with excessive force for example. Try experiencing the whole body whilst breathing, including the tongue and the abdomen...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Moderator note: Stay on topic, and if there is a compaint about what is being posted, use the "report" function.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723