U.S. Marines studying how meditation could make them tougher

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

U.S. Marines studying how meditation could make them tougher

Postby Kusala » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 am

Hello Dhamma friends. What do you make of this?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-marines ... -1.1121189

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Re: U.S. Marines studying how meditation could make them tougher

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 am

Sounds like miccha-samadhi to me... :shrug:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby danieLion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 am

Mindful harm? Ludicrous.
danieLion

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 am

Meditation to make them more efficient at being soldiers? I agree with Khalil. It may be meditation , but with impure motives, it is not Samma -Samadhi and does not lead to Panna.
pilgrim

Postby alan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 am

The title is incorrect. They are trying to find ways to reduce stress, in order to produce more effective soldiers.
alan

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 am

alan wrote:The title is incorrect. They are trying to find ways to reduce stress, in order to produce more effective soldiers.

Absolutely correct.
Will it work? Probably.
Could they use Buddhist-derived techniques to make the guys better soldiers instead? Probably. Look at the samurai tradition, or at Shaolin.

Is any of this going to lead Marines to enlightenment? Not very likely at all.

:coffee:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby yawares » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm

alan wrote:The title is incorrect. They are trying to find ways to reduce stress, in order to produce more effective soldiers.

Dear Alan,

You're very smart to point out the key issue. My daughter always emails me how meditation help her to be calm during complicate surgeries..to be peaceful while station in foreign countries for a long time..to deal with all her patients/colleagues.

BUT..MY DAUGHTER NOT ONLY PRACTICE MEDITATION..SHE ALSO OBSERVES 5 PRECEPTS AND READ BUDDHA'S VERSES/UDANAS/ITIVUTAKAS/DHAMMAPADA STORIES....she said that "not to lie" is the hardest precept to keep...sometimes she has to say "white lies' just to make people not mad/upset/worry...or lie to make people happy.

:anjali: Meditation will work well with people who have silas/panna :anjali:

I think I should mail her a beautiful gemstone-mala to count Buddho 1...Buddho 2....right now she does breath-in/breath out technique that her dad taught her to do :heart:

yawares :heart:
Last edited by yawares on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
yawares

Postby m0rl0ck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Sounds like a positive development. I think they are likely to notice some (to them) deleterious side effects long term, i.e increased compassion for their enemies and increased capacity for independent thinking.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby yawares » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

m0rl0ck wrote:Sounds like a positive development. I think they are likely to notice some (to them) deleterious side effects long term, i.e increased compassion for their enemies and increased capacity for independent thinking.

Dear "m0rl0ck",

I think USA is the best country in term of "compassion"...everywhere my daughter stationed..she told me about how her doctors-team took care of wounded local people in Afghanistan especially children who played near bomb-mine-field...did physical exams for more than 600 children in Philippines/giving medicines(free)...took care of Haitian victims(earthquake) in Haiti...YES! YES! USA ALWAYS THERE TO HELP PEOPLE IN TROUBLE :twothumbsup: :anjali:

I hope USA military not just provide 'how to do meditation' ...because MEDITATION will work well with people who have silas/panna !!!!
yawares :anjali:
yawares

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Dont beleive the propaganda. We are bankrupting the planet. The next time we need oil it may be your turn.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
m0rl0ck

Postby yawares » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:Dont beleive the propaganda. We are bankrupting the planet. The next time we need oil it may be your turn.

Dear "m0rl0ck",

I love USA and very proud that my daughter works for the US Air Force..we're proud to be Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLQ2RPLO78

yawares :anjali: :heart:
yawares

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Sorry, didnt know you were natives. Love your country, fear your government.
m0rl0ck

Postby alan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 am

No need to fear. Obama is back, and better than ever. We're learning. Eventually, America will be the country it should be.
alan

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 am

alan wrote:No need to fear. Obama is back, and better than ever. We're learning. Eventually, America will be the country it should be.

:toast:
I wonder how many Americans realise that the rest of the world is pathetically grateful that you guys re-elected him?

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby yawares » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm

alan wrote:No need to fear. Obama is back, and better than ever. We're learning. Eventually, America will be the country it should be.

Dear Alan,

For you :anjali: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rDCnr0eYc

:heart: yawares/tidathep :heart:
yawares

Postby Virgo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Kusala wrote:Hello Dhamma friends. What do you make of this?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-marines ... -1.1121189

From a warfare standpoint it is a joke. I was in the Navy and was stationed with the 2'nd Marine Battalion on the USS Saipan and have also worked with many marines in the civilian world as well. I have many friends that are ex-marines. One of my best friends is an ex-marine. At my place of employment I work with 6 ex-marines.

There's two phases of training. In the first phase they break you down and make you see yourself no longer as an individual first but as a member of a team with a specific purpose in mind first, an instrument. You are an individual only second to that, the job you have to do - your mission - takes foremost precedence over everything else. In basic training you refer to yourself not as by name but by "this recruit", you do -everything- in unison with others, march to every area on base as a unit, never going by yourself unless it is to medical, etc.

In phase two, you learn that you can overcome any task thrown at you. You learn that your mission is to kill. You are made to think you can overcome any obstacle and believe nothing can defeat you. You are a warrior with pure, yet focused aggression, a killing machine.

Mindfulness has nothing to do with being the most aggressive, dangerous instrument of death-dealing on earth.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 am

Kevin
Virgo

Postby yawares » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Dear Kevin,

Your video reminds me of my uncle..he was a 4 stars General Marine(Thailand)..I/daughter went to his grand ceremony while I was vacationing in Bangkok..I had a chance to tour the big battle ship with him...my daughter(5 yrs old) loved the ship..my uncle held her hand/carried her all the time...Oh I missed that day..very exciting! We loved to walk on the deck. I wished I had the pictures with my uncle that day..his soldiers took many pictures...but never sent them to me.

I/daughter at my uncle's house

He passed away years ago :cry:
yawares :heart: military
yawares

Postby Virgo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you for sharing that story Yawares.

Unfortunately, samsara is a place where there is attachment, aversion, and delusion and people have to die. It's sad to think all of the people who have been killed, and will be killed, because of these defilements.

Thanks Yawares,

Kevin
Virgo

Postby yawares » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Virgo wrote:Thank you for sharing that story Yawares.

Unfortunately, samsara is a place where there is attachment, aversion, and delusion and people have to die. It's sad to think all of the people who have been killed, and will be killed, because of these defilements.

Thanks Yawares,

Kevin

-------------------
Dear Kevin,

I know that you must have cute/funny/good/bad/sad experiences with the US Marine...could you please post some Marine-stories for us members to read so we'll know/appreciate our military soldiers better..please please...pretty please. I'll tell you that once my daughter repaired(cured/sewed) a wounded soldier's balls to look normal again.....my daughter is quite popular(as a surgeon) among wounded male soldiers.

Truly appreciate your kind words,
yawares :anjali:
yawares

Next

Return to Lounge