if you could ask the Buddha one question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: if you could ask the Buddha one question

Post by Ceisiwr »

I agree, asking the Buddha "how can i help" if you only have one question does seem a little bit of a waste
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I agree with peter- (maybe the question was meant in jest)- but here is a man who spent extra aeons so that he could help other beings out of samasara, the greatest being to tame the untameable, to bring out the dhamma from people, a teacher to davas and men. One instruction from him after he has scanned your mind and you will be on your merry way to nibbana. All his hard work will be in vain otherwise.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Here's another thought...

Let's say the question "How may I help you?" was meant totally legit, mind full of generosity, putting the other first. The Buddha teaches this to indeed be wholesome, leading at best to rebirth in heaven. If this is what one values, then it is indeed a good question. :twothumbsup:

On the other hand, for one who understands the Buddha's teachings on the drawbacks of sensual pleasures, this then is seen to not be the best question one could ask. The Buddha also teaches us that to put others before ourselves is not as wise as to put oneself before others. Acting for the benefit of both oneself and others together is of course the best of all.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Well, my first impulse was to kill him ... or rather to kill the hallucination of being able to put a question to a guy who has been dead for more than 2000 years. But then I thought that one should treat even one's hallucinations with some kind of metta ... so therefore I would just ask: "How can I help you, my friend?" ... hoping my Buddha-hallucination would be so surprised and taken off-guard that it would just vanish by itself.

If I ever should try to put questions, in full seriousness, to people long dead and gone, I hope someone will show me some metta and guide me to a hospital. :mrgreen:
Mettāya,
Kåre
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

I see. So it was not in fact a serious answer to the question. Oh well. You sure did confuse a bunch of us. :rofl:
- Peter

Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Peter,
Peter wrote:
You don't think the Buddha would have any better response to an offering made to him other than to reject it brusquely?
It depends. If he thought you were receptive to being taught then he would attempt to teach you. If he didn't think you receptive then he wouldn't try to teach you. If one knows one only gets one question and then makes it something unrelated to the Path, what does that say about such a one's receptiveness? To me it says "Here I have the rarest of opportunities, but I do not have the humility to accept it. I have no need of the Buddha's help, but in my ego I presume he needs my help." This to me does not seem the mind of one receptive to being taught.
This is truly a pointless discussion. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, other than that IF we had the kamma to encounter a Buddha and IF we could ask only one question, then the Buddha would ONLY help us IF we were smart enough to come up with a question that somehow reflected what we needed to learn, as if we know best what we need to learn. I do not agree with your view regarding how learning takes place. Sometimes we don't even know what question to ask in order to learn that thing along the path which we most need to learn.

The question we ask will reflect our kamma. Personally, I think a question focused on how to help others reflects more skillful kamma than a question focused on how to help oneself. I know you disagree with this outlook, since you have argued in other threads how helping others in an active way isn't something that you view as skillful kamma. I recall you arguing that skillful action is described in the Suttas as a form of inaction, and so you are suspect of the viewpoint that positive, active engagement with others is helpful along the path. I think you have this viewpoint because you misunderstand the 10 perfections. I'm sure you'll disagree with my assessment of your viewpoints.

Nevertheless, this quote that you offer DOES NOT reflect my mindstate: "Here I have the rarest of opportunities, but I do not have the humility to accept it. I have no need of the Buddha's help, but in my ego I presume he needs my help." You appear to be trying to argue that anyone who hold my viewpoint must lack humility. This comment could (and has been) taken as a thinly veiled personal attack. Please try to avoid suggesting that I lack humility because I think it's a good idea generate the kamma of dana if one encounters the Buddha. I don't want to be in the position of having to defend my degree of humility in this discussion with you. And please also try to avoid suggesting that I lack "the mind of one receptive to being taught," as you put it.

I'm astonished that this simple observation I offered -- that offering dana to the Buddha would be a wonderful way to use this one question -- has become such a contentious issue with you, Peter. I feel you are putting this in the worst possible light.

If and when the time comes that you have a chance to ask the Buddha a single question, go ahead and ask him something philosophical or whatever you want. That will reflect your kamma in that moment, and it will bear the appropriate fruit.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

I'd like to add that I'm uncomfortable being put into the position of defending what I thought was a pretty straighforward, positive and personal observation. What about my post was so objectionable? Here it is again, pasted below. Very weird, Peter, that you found it so objectionable. I was talking about myelf, not you.
Jechbi wrote:
Kare wrote:"How can I help you, my friend?"
I think that's the best question possible.

I was going to say, "May I sit with you, Bhante?" But Kare's question snaps into focus just how selfish my question would be.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Peter wrote:On the other hand, for one who understands the Buddha's teachings on the drawbacks of sensual pleasures, this then is seen to not be the best question one could ask. The Buddha also teaches us that to put others before ourselves is not as wise as to put oneself before others. Acting for the benefit of both oneself and others together is of course the best of all.
:roll:

I see. Your viewpoint is that you believe you have incredibly good understanding.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Is it selfish to seek nibbana?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I have a question that I would phrase in one of two ways:

What is the one thing I need to be doing to work towards awakening? What one thing can I focus on most?
or
What is the one thing that is holding me back the most from awakening?

I don't mean the obvious answers like craving or clinging, but a personalized answer. Particular to my mind-habits, my history, and my current practice. If I got to ask two questions, first I would ask him what would be best to ask. The idea of meeting the Buddha is such a happy idea, thanks for the question :)

Best,
Drolma
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to say
That does seem to be the case. Your recent batch of responses to me contain so many misinterpretations of what I said that I'm not sure it would be fruitful for me to try to address them all. Suffice it to say that, yes, I think you misunderstand the Buddha's teachings.

In short, a] an offer of generosity is indeed taught to be good, but it is not taught to be the best and b] to ask a Buddha how one might work towards Nibbana is not taught to be selfish, but rather is taught to be the best. To think generosity is the best or that to strive for Nibbana is selfish seems to me to show misunderstanding of the teachings, misunderstandings I felt worthwhile to point out and correct.

I still do find one point you've made to be very interesting: Maybe it doesn't matter at all what we ask? The scriptures seem to suggest the Buddha would simply ignore our question if it was a bad one and instead teach us something more appropriate.

"Enough, Subhadda. Put this question aside. I will teach you the Dhamma. Listen, and pay close attention. I will speak." - DN 16
- Peter

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi, let me add: I am sorry my answers aren't clear to you and that they appear to be causing you distress. Hopefully in the future my answers will be better formed.
- Peter

Kare

Post by Kare »

Friends, this is a futile and pointless exercize. Fantasizing about posing a question to a person we never are going to meet will only lead into a tangle and a thicket of views.

Let us put intelligent and penetrating questions to ourselves, to our teachers, to our kalyanamittas and to the Tipitaka. And let us listen attentively to whatever answers we get. But this discussion of putting questions to a person who died a long time ago, is a waste of time and energy.

:anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kåre,

Well said... there is nothing to be gained from disputing a hypothetical situation like this.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

It doesn't take much to turn the OP into a realistic question:

"What do you think is the single most important question you could ask a wise teacher?"

Far from being a useless question I have found it to be very relevant. When I get an opportunity to talk with Bhikkhu Bodhi I have time enough for one direct question. As much as I'd like to sit and chat with him for an hour or three I am simply not given that opportunity. Or if a monk is traveling giving lectures to a crowd I am lucky if I get called on during the question & answer period. Again, no chance for lots of back and forth or multiple questions. I have a single opportunity and I have to make it count.

In these situations, if I had asked "How may I help you?" I would have squandered a precious and rare opportunity to learn Dhamma from very wise people. On the other hand, when Bhikkhu Dhammaratana was visiting my town for a week I asked him if there was anything special he needed while he was travelling. He let me know of a few things and I happily got them. But when we were doing a meditation retreat I kept my questions focused on the path and practice.

That is how I roll. I guess others roll differently. :rofl:
- Peter