Progress

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Jay1

Progress

Post by Jay1 »

Is this true:

http://www.celibacy.info/SignsOfProgress.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some I agree with:
"Less need for sleep
More energy "

Some are strange to me:
"Animals approaching you fearlessly that are normally timid or wild
Small children spontaneously coming to you in a trusting way"
Like, what does that even mean? A bird will stay away from you whether or not you meditate and kids don't have mind reading powers. At least, I didn't :(

This also seems obviously false:
"Development of wealth; things like money and
attractive property coming to you without much effort.
Thoughts and visualizations manifesting more and more rapidly in your life "

I'm a bit worried about this:
"Growing distaste for speaking; even to say a word. Also disinclination to write or preach. "

That is a strange site. Anyway, why do you meditate? What have you gotten from meditation?

:namaste:
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Progress

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

While Yogananda was a wise man, his ideas about what may or may not constitute progress on the path have little to do with the Buddha's teachings. For me, progress in meditation leads to the arising of loving kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity, as well as a general sense of well-being and an ability to react more positively towards events in my life off the cushion.

I would say that I am probably less interested in various forms of media since I first started, and my desire to preach to others has gone down - although I still maintain an unwholesome level of interest in both I'm sure.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Jay1 wrote:Is this true:...
"Animals approaching you fearlessly that are normally timid or wild
Small children spontaneously coming to you in a trusting way"
Yes. They experience your presence, movements, sound, etc., as pleasant.
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

I am personally most interested in this:

"Growing distaste for speaking; even to say a word. Also disinclination to write or preach. "
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Jay1 wrote:I am personally most interested in this:

Hi Jay. The website you linked to in the OP has little to do with the Buddha's teaching, and to me looks like some kind of quasi-hindu or neo-hindu group.
Nevertheless, right speech is an important part of the Noble eightfold path which includes abandoning idle talk. Preaching, as I understand it, is forbidden (or proselytising rather), unless invited to do so, for members of the monastic sangha. The desire to constantly preach/proselytise can be based on unwholesome states of mind such as view-clinging and ego, and it is better to help others by being a good example in action. As for writing, many great teachers have written extensively, so I don't think it is necessarily a problem.

Meditation is an important part of the path, and for me personally much has come from (trying to) keep pure sila, seeing the difference between wholesome and unwholesome, an intellectual understanding of the Buddha's teachings, and the higher pleasure and dispassion from meditation - I feel more fulfilled, calmer, and have a general sense of well-being. It has helped me over come some serious problems in my life and I am incredibly grateful.

:anjali:
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

S N Goenka talks about doing big operation in depth of the mind on 10daycourses and about doing operation on surfacelevel of the mind by talking, I dont know if this it true but I will ask.
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )