Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign

Post by plwk »

Citing advanced years and infirmity, Pope Benedict XVI stunned the Roman Catholic world on Monday by saying that he would resign on Feb. 28 after less than eight years in office, the first pope to do so in six centuries. More here
tiltbillings

Re: Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign

Post by tiltbillings »

It will be interesting to see if there are more sex scandals, or such, that will come to light. That stuff has to have been an unbelievable burden to contend with.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Does he get to keep the hat?
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Does he get to keep the hat?
No. That and all other -- as Bishop Fulton J. Sheen called them -- glad rags get retired.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

He is going to keep living in the Vatican though.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

A friend of mine posted on Facebook the Vatican's new Help Wanted ad:

WANTED:
Someone to replace a former Hitler youth as Vice-President for a large multi-national organization.

MUST HAVE:
1. A strong work ethic
2. Indifference toward a history of violence and oppression
3. Antiquated and bigoted belief system
4. Ability to look the other way at widespread violations of office policy on sexual harassment.
5. Strong communication skills (commands from the head office may be non-existent, and/or vague to the point of fractious disputes over interpretation)

Familiarity with Latin and/or Microsoft Excel is considered a plus.

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

As I have mentioned many times before, the disrespect of other faiths that I have observed from some of the members in this website is disturbing. I am not a Catholic, by the way.

Edit: If I weren't convinced of Buddhism before I cam to this site, I would've never become a Buddhist because I would've said:
"See, (insert real name), they are no different from other religious groups." The heaven, hell and devas wouldn't have helped either.
Last edited by Jay1 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jay1 wrote:As I have mentioned many times before, the disrespect of other faiths in this website is disturbing. I am not a Catholic, by the way.

Edit: If I weren't convinced of Buddhism before I cam to this site, I would've never become a Buddhist because I would've said:
"See, (insert real name), they are no different from other religious groups." The heaven, hell and devas wouldn't have helped either.
If you see an offensive post, you can report it to the moderating team. It is the ! above each post.

Just because one person from (insert group) may have written something offensive, it would be inappropriate to generalize all participants of said group as if all are offensive.

In the same way, if we encounter a criminal from (insert group, race) we don't generalize all members of that group or race as criminals.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Jay1 wrote:As I have mentioned many times before, the disrespect of other faiths in this website is disturbing. I am not a Catholic, by the way.

I apologize if I caused any hurt to Mr. Benedict or anyone who believes that he, a bigot and a liar, is the chosen agent of God on Earth. I'm still waiting on the apology from Mr. Benedict to the gays, lesbians, HIV/AIDS victims, marginalized women, and abused children that he hurt. But hey, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I don't think we disrespect other religions. I think we criticize, perhaps irreverently, those who use religions, Buddhist or otherwise, to bandy about archaic prejudice and superstition at the expense of vulnerable and weak human beings. We also occasionally poke fun at supposedly all-powerful, benevolent Gods who endorse and/or personally perform hideous acts of genocide, rape, slavery, slaughter, racism, homophobic violence, and deep, unrelenting misogyny.
Last edited by LonesomeYogurt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Doesn't effect me, but as this has not occurred in about 600 years, I wonder what a retired/resigned Pope does? Will he go back to being a Cardinal? An adviser to the newly elected Pope? This might prove to be interesting to see unfold, as it will be played out in the world press.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Jay1 wrote:As I have mentioned many times before, I am not a Catholic, by the way.

If you see an offensive post, you can report it to the moderating team. It is the ! above each post.

Just because one person from (insert group) may have written something offensive, it would be inappropriate to generalize all participants of said group as if all are offensive.

In the same way, if we encounter a criminal from (insert group, race) we don't generalize all members of that group or race as criminals.
It is not offensive, just unskillfully written. There are different levels of ill conduct and I have no intention to remove or to support the removal of a post that is not malicious. That post was not malicious, I even giggled at the Latin part. I am simply pointing out that this is not a way a Buddhist should respond. I think. I could be wrong but it does say something that I could find atheist's forums with less radical views on theists.

I am sorry for my sweeping statement, though. I'll edit it from "the disrespect of other faiths in this website is disturbing." to "the disrespect of other faiths that I have observed from some of the members in this website is disturbing."
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:

I apologize if I caused any hurt to Mr. Benedict or anyone who believes that he, a bigot and a liar, is the chosen agent of God on Earth. I'm still waiting on the apology from Mr. Benedict to the gays, lesbians, HIV/AIDS victims, marginalized women, and abused children that he hurt. But hey, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I don't think we disrespect other religions. I think we criticize, perhaps irreverently, those who use religions, Buddhist or otherwise, to bandy about archaic prejudice and superstition at the expense of vulnerable and weak human beings. We also occasionally poke fun at supposedly all-powerful, benevolent Gods who endorse and/or personally perform hideous acts of genocide, rape, slavery, slaughter, racism, homophobic violence, and deep, unrelenting misogyny.
The website is biased.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Jay1 wrote:The website is biased.
The website doesn't exist to give a comprehensive overview of all events in the Bible. It simply showcases, quite effectively, I might add, the depths of cruelty to which Jehovah sinks to on multiple occasions. No amount of positives on the other side could give pardon.

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

PC sometimes is BS.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

"By failing to live by the letter of the texts, while tolerating the irrationality of those who do, religious moderates betray faith and reason equally."

Sam Harris
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]