Silly question

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ngawang Drolma.

Silly question

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi all,

Okay, silliest question in the world. Once I asked at another site what the Buddhist equivilant of "Amen!" was, and Stuka told me that "Sadhu!" is a rough equivilant. But I'm not sure I remember right. So yesterday I was goofing around an made an avatar to use at this site with the word "Sadhu!" and a little picture of the Buddha. Before I run around here with that little graphic, please tell me if I'm using the word incorrectly. I looked it up and goggle only served to confuse me.

Thank you! :rolleye:
kc2dpt

Re: Silly question

Post by kc2dpt »

Sadhu means "true" so saying "Sadhu!" after someone says something is roughly "Yes, what you say is true! I agree wholeheartedly!"
So yeah, pretty much amen.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ngawang Drolma.

Then my graphic makes no sense :pig:

Is there a Pali word to wish someone well, or say "peace" (like Shalom) or you know, just something nice? I don't want to use a mantra.

Thanks! :namaste:
bodom

Post by bodom »

According to The Pali Buddhist Dictionary on Sadhu:

sadhu (saadhu): (exclamation) "It is well"; an expression showing appreciation or agreement.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sadhu is used for approval of either speech or action. For speech it would be similar to a Chrstian saying "amen", but you'll also have monks (and others) saying "sadhu" to you if you do something good, e.g. if you make a donation. :thumbsup:

Why not use the word "metta"?

Metta :hug:
Mike
Fede

Post by Fede »

Amen means "so be it".

From your friend, and mine, "Wiki".....
The word Amen ( ; آمين, ’Āmīn ; "So be it; truly") is a declaration of affirmation found in the Hebrew Bible and New Testament. Its use in Judaism dates back to its earliest texts. It has been generally adopted in Christian worship as a concluding word for prayers and hymns.
Does that help?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ngawang Drolma.

mikenz66 wrote:Sadhu is used for approval of either speech or action. For speech it would be similar to a Chrstian saying "amen", but you'll also have monks (and others) saying "sadhu" to you if you do something good, e.g. if you make a donation. :thumbsup:

Why not use the word "metta"?

Metta :hug:
Mike
Great suggestion Mike, thanks! :thumbsup:

And thanks for the definition Fede :heart:
pererin

Post by pererin »

Amen אָמֵן derives from a triliteral root meaning 'to be firm', 'confirmed', 'reliable', 'faithful', 'to have faith, believe'. It has a number of lexical implications: 1. reliability, sureness; 2. stability, continuance; 3. faithfulness, reliability: (a) of men, (b) an attribute of God; 4. truth (a) as spoken, (b) of testimony and judgment; (c) truth as a body of ethical or religious knowledge; 5. adv. in truth, truly. When used liturgically or in response to a statement it means something along the lines of "so be it" (= it is trustworthy).

Either Sadhu or Metta would perhaps seem to fit the bill quite well?

Metta
Ngawang Drolma.

Woohoo! Thanks again Mike, and pererin :toast: