A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Postby steve19800 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi all,

So Karma means action. If something a deed looks not very good but the intention is good than the result is good, so intention also plays important role here. Mindfulness also often emphasized by all spiritual teachers. I read somewhere, it says when we wrong someone, the harmful consequences is unavoidable, even in cases where we are unaware of having wronged that person. Another definition is, it is call Karma when you have the intention and you perform the deeds either by speech or body action.

People with mindfulness or awareness will tend to do something bad with awareness too, there are moment when we do something even though we are aware they are not wholesome, in some cases we do it because we have to do it. While other people maybe just careless, without any intention to hurt anyone. Why we practice mindfulness and why people with no intention also have to suffer the consequences?

We know after the Buddha's death, Buddhism splits into 18 sects in total both Mahayana and Theravada. All sects do not have the same definition or understanding of Karma. We can find 'Karma' almost in all Indian spiritual traditions, but they are not the same. So I'm wondering if anyone here, senior brother and sisters can tell me what really Buddha said or taught about this? There is a claim from other spiritual tradition that Buddha's Teaching has been misunderstood by his followers. Thanks guys, I hope all the reply may shed some light of what Karma is exactly.
steve19800

Re: Karma

Postby Ben » Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Greetings Steve,

I think this study guide is probably a good place to start:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/kamma.html

kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby steve19800 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Ben wrote:Greetings Steve,

I think this study guide is probably a good place to start:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/kamma.html

kind regards,

Ben

Greetings Ben,

Just logged in again and read through the Kamma particularly part III from link provided.
Actually, my question is on part III, 14:

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect."

It seems to me the Buddha excluding the action that has no intention. What about action that is not involving any intention at all? Thanks (all).
steve19800

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:24 am

steve19800 wrote:It seems to me the Buddha excluding the action that has no intention. What about action that is not involving any intention at all? Thanks (all).

If there's no intention at all, e.g. killing bugs by treading on them due to not seeing them, then there is ni kamma.

It is a complex topic that requires careful study — forum threads are unlikely to provide a comprehensive and reliable answer.

What Kamma Is by Sayādaw U Thitila is a reliable source that covers the main points.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Return to General Theravāda discussion