Singala : The Lucky Brahman

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
yawares

Singala : The Lucky Brahman

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This cold cold Friday morning, I proudly present an amazing story of a young man who met the Buddha and had a chance to learn the great sutta about the whole domestic and social duty of a layman.

:heart: Sigala : The Lucky Brahman :heart:
[Wisdom Library]

Oh My Papa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbdOyKLqtY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sigala (Singala), a young householder of Rajagaha, was in the habit of rising early, bathing, and, with wet hair and garments, worshipping the several quarters of the earth and sky. The Buddha saw him once and asked him the reason for this. Sigalas reply was that his dead father had asked him to do so. The Buddha then taught him that, in his religion, too, there were, worship of the six quarters, but that these quarters were different. Urged by Sigala, to explain, the Buddha taught him the six vices in conduct, the four motives for such evil action, the six channels for dissipating wealth, and the different kinds of friends. He then taught him the six quarters to be honoured by performing the duties owing to them parents are the east, teachers the south, wife and children the west, friends and companions the north, servants and workpeople the nadir, religious teachers and brahmins the zenith. Details are then given of the duties owing to these and of their counter duties.

The sutta is an exposition of the whole domestic and social duty of a layman, according to the Buddhist point of view, and, as such, it is famous under the name of Gihivinaya (D.iii.180-93).

Sigalaka became the Buddhas follower. According to the Apadana (Ap.ii.604), it was this Sigalakas mother who was known as Sigalakamata.

The Sutta: http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/singala8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
Last edited by yawares on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote

Re: Singala : The Lucky Brahman

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Yawares,

I have liked thus sutta for a long time, for its practical and down-to-earth advice, and that it reveals the negative consequences of unskillful action in this very life.

Thankyou for uploading this and :anjali:
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
yawares

Re: Singala : The Lucky Brahman

Post by yawares »

Coyote wrote:Thanks Yawares,

I have liked thus sutta for a long time, for its practical and down-to-earth advice, and that it reveals the negative consequences of unskillful action in this very life.

Thankyou for uploading this and :anjali:
Dear Coyote,

I truly appreciate your comment...It encourages me to post these great dhammapada stories that I so love.

yawares
:anjali: :heart: