Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 pm

No, I don't agree with you (Jay1). I agree with LY that those superstitious things are essential in many other religions, not Buddhism. The Dhamma is about suffering and the way out of suffering.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7691
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Jay1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:No, I don't agree with you (Jay1). I agree with LY that those superstitious things are essential in many other religions, not Buddhism. The Dhamma is about suffering and the way out of suffering.


Sure. I have other things I need to do right now and so little time. So let's settle on disagreeing on the Christian part, although we do agree that Buddhism as whole is not exempt, cool :)
User avatar
Jay1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Either you're trolling, something I find very likely reading your posts; or you didn't form a correct logical argument, because I never said buddhism was exempt from violence.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
User avatar
Modus.Ponens
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Funchal, Portugal

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Jay1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:Either you're trolling, something I find very likely reading your posts; or you didn't form a correct logical argument, because I never said buddhism was exempt from violence.


"The buddhist inquisition is well known. "
User avatar
Jay1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Image
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Jay1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Oh, I see, I am a troll because I disagree. Please forgive me for pointing out that Buddhism is not special, it has its extraordinary beliefs and its violent followers just like any religion. How hard can it be for yal to understand this simple fact? I will continue on my Buddhist path as before* but this site is obviously filled with, albeit well-meaning, ignorant people. Honestly, I've met more humble, reasonable atheists in atheist's forums!

I guess, :namaste:


* Thankfully, I realized the truth of the Buddhist's teachings before I joined this site.
User avatar
Jay1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby manas » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Jay1 wrote:... I will continue on my Buddhist path as before* but this site is obviously filled with, albeit well-meaning, ignorant people...

:namaste:

* Thankfully, I realized the truth of the Buddhist's teachings before I joined this site.


Jay, you're welcome here like anyone else is (so long as they follow the T.O.S.), but I'd be careful about saying things like this. As you are familiar with the Buddha's teachings, you would also know that the Buddha was in favour of good manners and etiquette. I've been interested in (and, in my own imperfect way, cultivating) the Dhamma over about 20 years, yet I find that here there are many people who know a lot more about it than I do. 'Ignorant' is not the right word.

:anjali:
Primum non nocere: "first, do no harm."
User avatar
manas
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Jay1 wrote:Oh, I see, I am a troll because I disagree. Please forgive me for pointing out that Buddhism is not special, it has its extraordinary beliefs and its violent followers just like any religion. How hard can it be for yal to understand this simple fact? I will continue on my Buddhist path as before* but this site is obviously filled with, albeit well-meaning, ignorant people. Honestly, I've met more humble, reasonable atheists in atheist's forums!

I guess, :namaste:


* Thankfully, I realized the truth of the Buddhist's teachings before I joined this site.

You're not pointing out that Buddhism "isn't special"; you're trying to equate Buddhism and Christianity as being equally flawed or superstitious or violent or destructive, and you're doing it in a weirdly tone-deaf manner. You're more than welcome to challenge or criticize us, but posting common-knowledge facts about types of Buddhism none of us practice or just calling us arrogant is not the way to do it.

The fact is, Buddhism is less violent and superstitious, both in theory and in practice, than Christianity. I'll change my mind when you can show me the verse in the Dhammapada where the Buddha says, "As surely as I live forever, when I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me. will make my arrows drunk with blood, while my sword devours flesh: the blood of the slain and the captives, the heads of the enemy leaders," like your God did in Deuteronomy; when you find a discourse where the Buddha prescribes the death penalty for disobedient children or homosexuals, I promise I'll redact the statement.

As for superstition, it's true that both our religions have holdovers from a time where people did not understand how the world really worked - the difference is that Buddhism has largely abandoned those things while most Christians haven't. If you are a Christian and you have abandoned the 6,000 year-old Earth or the virgin birth or many of the other untrue statements in the Bible, then I commend you! But sadly, you're in the minority.

So please, continue to constructively criticize anything we say, really - but don't pretend that Buddhism has anything close to the history of violence, oppression, and hatred that other religions or Gods that you follow do.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
User avatar
LonesomeYogurt
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: America

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Kamran » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:33 am

Legend, myth, and magic make for a better story than technical concepts of meditation theory.

It seems to me a lot was added in order to popularize what would otherwise be technical, psychological material.

The Buddha's awakening, for instance, if told as an encounter with Mara is much more accessible and vivid than if described as a process of gaining insight into the casual chain of "dependent arising" :)
When this concentration is thus developed, thus well developed by you, then wherever you go, you will go in comfort. Wherever you stand, you will stand in comfort. Wherever you sit, you will sit in comfort. Wherever you lie down, you will lie down in comfort.
User avatar
Kamran
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Monkey Mind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 am

tiltbillings wrote:


The clip is really brief. Does anyone know what season and episode this is?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
User avatar
Monkey Mind
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby daverupa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 am

Who Watches the Watchers

ST: TNG really took off in the third season.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
User avatar
daverupa
 
Posts: 3719
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Monkey Mind » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 am

So the religion referenced in the clip is Picardianity, and any similarities to actual religions, alive or dead, is a coincidence.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
User avatar
Monkey Mind
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Jay1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 pm

.
User avatar
Jay1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Postby Jay1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:17 pm

.
User avatar
Jay1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Previous

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests