Meteor strike in Russia

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
James the Giant

Meteor strike in Russia

Post by James the Giant »

Woah, this is amazing! I thought it was a hoax at first but no. Good wake-up call to fund the search for more earth-orbit-crossing asteroids.
Hmm, looks like some people have been critically injured... my best wishes to all affected.

Sonic boom, smashes thousands of windows and sets off car alarms
http://video.news.com.au/2335322022/Met ... mass-panic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other best video I have found so far.
Last edited by James the Giant on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Ben

Re: Meteor strike in Russia

Post by Ben »

The invasion has commenced...

James - use the video tag and pop your link in that.
Give it a try and then run for the hills.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
James the Giant

Thanks for the tip on embedding, Ben.

Breaking news: Scientist says it's unrelated to the big one coming through tonight, as this one came in from a different direction
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

About six months ago a meteorite landed about 50 miles from me. I heard a terriffic boom and rumble, went outside and saw a giant streak across the sky. It was amazing to see. No injuries or anything, but it was all over the news, and meteorite hunters from all over the country came to tack down remnants.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members....Meteor in the video look so scarry...but not as horrible as in THE WAR OF THE WORLD and strange as CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND....But :heart: I love love E.T. PHONE HOME :heart:

yawares :jumping:
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

Didn't an Astroid his Russia before around 1901. Anyway Russia is pretty luck that the Astroid hit river that was covered in ice rather than a city.
:coffee:
David2

Post by David2 »

chris98e wrote:Didn't an Astroid his Russia before around 1901. Anyway Russia is pretty luck that the Astroid hit river that was covered in ice rather than a city.
:coffee:
You mean the Tunguska event in 1908:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is the largest impact event on or near Earth in recorded history.
Hundovir

Post by Hundovir »

Buckwheat wrote:A I heard a terriffic boom and rumble, went outside and saw a giant streak across the sky. It was amazing to see.
I'll bet it was! Some sort of a deva perhaps? Although maybe in America "streak" doesn't mean the same as it does in Brit slang...
James the Giant

Hundovir wrote:
I'll bet it was! Some sort of a deva perhaps?
My bets are on a space rock, rather than a magical being from another plane of existence.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Miami residents took to Twitter to say they saw a fireball. (Meteors are what’s in the sky; meteorites are what you find on the ground.)

“My man was just on the golf course in #Miami & swears he saw a #meteor. Did that happen or is he just messing with me?!” one user tweeted.

“Just witnessed a meteor go down near South Beach. True story!” another added.

“Yeah I wasn’t on acid or anything, I def. saw a meteor fireball thingy in the sky today,” said another user.

Local media(Florida) reported that the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and U.S. Coast Guard said they received calls about a flashing light, with the Coast Guard reporting that they couldn’t find a flare or a boat in distress.

The Florida sighting joins another sighting off the West Coast on Friday night
and, of course, the huge meteor that flashed over Russia’s Ural Mountains on Friday, creating a shock wave that broke windows and injured hundreds.

The Russian object, the remains of which are now being collected, is thought to be the largest to hit Earth in a century.

About 100 tons of rock and particles as minuscule as a grain of sand hit Earth’s atmosphere and burn up on entry every day, according to NASA. Vehicle-sized meteors that create an “impressive fireball” arrive about once a year.

I wish all meteors carried plenty of exotic beautiful gemstones inside..they can be heavenly gifts from Sakka the king of devas/devis :jumping:
yawares :heart:
Hundovir

Post by Hundovir »

James the Giant wrote: My bets are on a space rock, rather than a magical being from another plane of existence.
Well, perhaps you're right. But a giant running naked across the sky sounds more like a deva than a space rock to me.
poto

Post by poto »

We're bombarded with meteors/meteorites every day, yet most harmlessly burn up in the atmosphere. Ones as large as 40cm diameter hit the atmosphere daily. It's just that most of us live near populated areas with smog and light pollution and are unable to see those shooting stars on a regular basis. That and of course, 2/3 of them will go unnoticed over the oceans. The news media has started reporting 'fireballs' and whatnot over various areas that are actually very common events. I find this kind of bizarre, but I've learned not to underestimate the level of stupid in the media.

The event in Russia is probably a once in a century event. Still, asteroids and meteorite impacts are the last great extinction threat that we as a species can actually do something tangible to prevent. I heard the Russians announced they were to build some kind of asteroid defense shield, though I doubt they have the technical capacity and funding to pull off such a feat these days. Building gigaton class nuclear warheads and space-based interceptor missiles fast and accurate enough to catch an asteroid would strain our current level of technology. That and a detection grid wouldn't be cheap. Oh and let us not forget the anti-nuclear crowd would throw a hissy fit if we were to even consider putting nukes in space to protect ourselves.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Hundovir wrote:
James the Giant wrote: My bets are on a space rock, rather than a magical being from another plane of existence.
Well, perhaps you're right. But a giant running naked across the sky sounds more like a deva than a space rock to me.
In that case, I would have used "streaker". ;) It was of the space rock variety, unless it was a deva in disguise. :jawdrop:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.