How i lost 80lbs

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
befriend

How i lost 80lbs

Post by befriend »

i walked 1 hour a day at a regular walking speed, ate regular sized meals, and i went from 235 to 159 now. all i did was walk. i think exercise regiments of intense workouts to lose weight and dieting are not fitting. its so hard to get motivated to do a richard simmons video for 45 minutes, but walking takes no drive. just walk, if your moving your burning calories. i didnt even lift weights.
metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Alobha

Re: How i lost 80lbs

Post by Alobha »

Great job befriend! :smile:
After having some knee pain, I'm starting to shifting to just walking, too. Mindful walking is easily possible and listening a one-hour long Dhammatalk is a fine thing, too.
How regular did you go out for a walk? Everday? Three times a week?

Anyways, right way to go! ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done befriend!
I also walk everyday as part of my health and wellbeing routine that includes a near-vegetarian diet, RPM classes, regular cardio/strength workouts and swimming.

You might be interested in this site: http://www.myfitnesspal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I have found to be extremely useful.
Keep up the excellent work!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Hi Befriend, well done also!

How long did it take you, if I might ask?

I am looking to lose a stone (or two) and get into shape. But I do kettlebell training and a martial art. I would recommend it (kettlebells) to anyone, and my routines only take 25 or so minutes.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
manas

Post by manas »

befriend wrote:i walked 1 hour a day at a regular walking speed, ate regular sized meals, and i went from 235 to 159 now. all i did was walk. i think exercise regiments of intense workouts to lose weight and dieting are not fitting. its so hard to get motivated to do a richard simmons video for 45 minutes, but walking takes no drive. just walk, if your moving your burning calories. i didnt even lift weights.
metta, befriend
Good work, befriend. :smile: Are you noticing an increase in physical and/or emotional wellbeing as a result? I find that walking in the early morning, before the roads are filled with traffic and hence pollution, is very beneficial.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Congratulations! Do you have any before and after photos? Or if you don't want to show those, that is of course okay.

I know what you mean about moderate exercise. No exercise is bad for obvious reasons and sometimes too much exercise can be counter-productive. Some who over-exert on a too strenuous set, over-eat later, consuming much more calories than were burned.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Congratulations!
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
befriend

Post by befriend »

i walked every day give or take some days, it took me maybe 8 months. i dont feel any emotional benefits. but im sure i saved myself from many illnesses. but i guess i do feel better in the sense, im not afraid of getting diabetes anymore, and i look better. i have an inspirational story. but its something that can be maintained easily. walking is just kind of more natural i think. oh i also have more stamina when im working, i have a very physically demanding job, if i didnt lose this weight i doubt i could even do the work.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.