Is enlightenment possible without a teacher?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zerotime

Re: Is enlightenment possible without a teacher?

Post by zerotime »

Stefan wrote:Is Nibbana (or at least sotapatti) possible to attain without a teacher or a kalyanamitta?
definitely yes. Sometimes even it can be better. You need deep faith, sincerity with yourself, humility and intensity in your purpose. You don't need a lot of knowledge of Buddhism just pursuing that teaching that you feel is in the core of the matter. After testing nibbana then you will need the advice of wise people beyond your point.
mindfullmom

Post by mindfullmom »

Hi Stefan,

I have had those very same questions myself. I live in an area where there is no opportunity in close proximity to learn teacher or benefit from a sangha. Well, there is one but I have found out it is not reputable. I have practiced for about three years on my own and have come to realize that much can be accomplished on my own. I think sometimes we box ourselves into the limited idea that we need to pursue the path the way it has been traditionally pursued, ie, with live in-person teachers and support. If the masters of the past had access to a magical "machine" (computer) that had every teaching inside it that they could look at any time of night or day, and could provide them with conversations as well, would they have travelled great distances to find a teacher? I wonder.

Maybe the conditions are not ripe yet for you and I to have live teachers near enough to us but we were fortunate enough to be born in a time and place where we have the internet. :toast:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Thus have I heard. At one time the Lord was hosting a web forum at http://www.jeta-wood.savatthi.gov/anathapindika" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Then a devata who was a former blood-relation of Bahiya of the Bark-cloth IM'd Bahiya thus: "Yur no arahant foo. Email [email protected]." Then Bahiya of the Bark-cloth, profoundly stirred by the IM of that devata, then and there departed from http://www.supparaka.gov/seashore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, stopping only to check his bid for a zafu on eBay. At that time a number of bhikkhus were in chat. "The Buddha is AFK," they said.

- Ud 1.10 (sort of)
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Hi Stefan,

Ajahn Chah said: "We will come to understand that everything in the world is a teacher."

it may be helpful ;)
best wishes
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, etiam nunc justo urna vehicula, rhoncus nam non facilisis aliquet, mauris nulla nisl convallis per ut. Venenatis per, vitae dapibus nam pellentesque id pellentesque, tortor augue. Wisi neque lacus dolor et, bibendum leo, mattis quam quisque, curabitur aenean mollis semper diam nisl, maecenas neque non velit. Iaculis velit rutrum odio nibh, lectus et pellentesque arcu quam ac, sit velit tellus hendrerit a augue nisl, mollis ipsum, iaculis vestibulum orci dui mauris ante. Purus malesuada, ut sem, potenti wisi sit velit. Mi dignissim felis rhoncus mauris facilisis, urna consectetuer quisque aliquam curabitur. Suspendisse libero amet sed feugiat. Consequat amet elit consectetuer ut et pellentesque, duis imperdiet nostra sed vestibulum, quis adipiscing nulla ante mattis. At ut commodo, nec orci, metus praesent.

Cras id, tellus wisi quisque curabitur, erat augue lacus lectus pretium, lacus quam tellus vitae quam. Nullam lorem nunc, velit maecenas, vestibulum sed suspendisse eget sem, velit sed, sed libero id. Nec a et. Fermentum senectus consectetuer, faucibus est pharetra vel ac rhoncus nec, ultrices sed mauris perspiciatis odio, ut neque neque posuere. Ullamcorper odio nunc wisi posuere. Pede est vestibulum, eu nunc pharetra, id maecenas accumsan quam faucibus luctus, habitasse vel sagittis eu convallis, urna dolor. Ac dolor ac tellus libero quis lacinia, justo elit vel quis, vestibulum viverra pellentesque sit. Quis tortor ullamcorper amet magnis hymenaeos potenti, interdum mollis quam aliquam turpis nihil.
Last edited by Nibbida on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Peter wrote:Thus have I heard. At one time the Lord was hosting a web forum at http://www.jeta-wood.savatthi.gov/anathapindika" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Then a devata who was a former blood-relation of Bahiya of the Bark-cloth IM'd Bahiya thus: "Yur no arahant foo. Email [email protected]." Then Bahiya of the Bark-cloth, profoundly stirred by the IM of that devata, then and there departed from http://www.supparaka.gov/seashore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, stopping only to check his bid for a zafu on eBay. At that time a number of bhikkhus were in chat. "The Buddha is AFK," they said.

- Ud 1.10 (sort of)

Ya got me Peter...I bit... :smile:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Yeah... no one liked my joke. :cry:
- Peter

Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

You Got a chuckle from me Peter. :lol:

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
mindfullmom

Post by mindfullmom »

I thought it was very funny. :rofl:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Thanks! My ego is soothed now. :lol:
- Peter