The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Kim OHara

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Post by Kim OHara »

m0rl0ck wrote:
Ben wrote: That's a rather patronising thing to say, morlock.
If we follow the logical conclusion of your line of argument then we can absolve tobacco companies from responsibility of manufacturing and selling a product that causes addiction and shortens the lifespan of its users. You will find framed in legislation and case law in most developed countries the notions of 'duty of care' and 'negligence' aimed at corporations to ensure that they do not produce and/or sell goods that harm their customers.
I'd much rather live in a society where there are effective legal controls on corporate greed than a society that doesn't.
I didnt intend to be patronizing but if you choose to interpret it that way its up to you. The point im making is that every day people make life and death choices based on awareness of consequences. As long as a vendor of any particular product isnt hiding anything, people should have the right to make free choices. Would you ban buses because people occasionally step in front of them? Cars kill people everyday, lets ban them. Too much time on the internet can have adverse effects. Lets monitor computer use and send exercise police to every dwelling where someone is online more than three hours at a time.
Seriously, there really are much bigger things to worry about than junk food :) and those who are worried about it can take one simple step, dont eat it.
Hi, Morlock,
The three phrases I have bolded are crucial to your argument but in fact the corporations are hiding the facts, so the average consumer has no awareness of the consequences. Then, because they won't be worried about it (because they don't know about it), they won't take the one simple step.
For those reasons, I'm with Ben: corporations which behave unethically need to be regulated.

:namaste:
Kim
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

The "facts" may be hidden but are readily available to anyone willing to dig a little and not accept everything at face value. Most people seem to prefer not to know, or just don't care, convenience trumping effort.

It is no secret that Big Agra corporations are in business to make money, not provide wholesome food to a discerning population. Assuming that products made by such companies are safe/healthy is naive.

As always, caveat emptor. Do your research.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Justsit wrote:The "facts" may be hidden but are readily available to anyone willing to dig a little and not accept everything at face value. Most people seem to prefer not to know, or just don't care, convenience trumping effort.
I think this lack of compassion is quite remarkable.

It is naive to think that everyone would have the means (even the slightest ones) or the ability to do a basic research, to judge the information's values, or to keep up to date on things... but even then, if it was everyone's own responsibility to check up on everything themselves, especially by digging up in the way that you suggested, then there will be no time for them to do anything that is worthwhile.

It's naive to think that many people will have the same self-control as you do.

It's also naive to think that if you weren't helpful with this (or if you're not willing), that this won't have an effect on the quality of your own life.

A few years ago, someone asked me why I study Buddhism... I told him that it's so that others wouldn't have to. I thought that (and still do) most people had better things to do with their own time. He seemed a bit surprised by this answer... not sure why.

If you're that concerned about the government over-extending their own control... then maybe it's a good idea to try help the people who are doing so to encourage these companies (or actually, the people who make up these) to try take more responsibility and care over their own products, along with their customers?

If you're not willing to do that, then why complain about it when the government (or the people who make up it) decide to step in and then do it for you?

:anjali:
It is no secret that Big Agra corporations are in business to make money, not provide wholesome food to a discerning population. Assuming that products made by such companies are safe/healthy is naive.

As always, caveat emptor. Do your research.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Justsit wrote:The "facts" may be hidden but are readily available to anyone willing to dig a little and not accept everything at face value.
Like the (possibly) drug tainted horse meat that has been sold as beef accross Europe?
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Mr Man wrote:
Justsit wrote:The "facts" may be hidden but are readily available to anyone willing to dig a little and not accept everything at face value.
Like the (possibly) drug tainted horse meat that has been sold as beef accross Europe?
Exactly.
Personally, I have no confidence in big corporate food production.
Any in depth report on the meat industry will reveal many common varieties of contamination.
This is really not news - the presence of growth hormone, antibiotics, BSE, fecal contamination, etc., is pretty well documented, some of it has been known since the 70's. It just doesn't often make the evening news, because Big Agra makes sure it doesn't. The story in Ben's original post is a prime example.

Learning more about this topic really isn't all that time consuming or difficult. Just go to You Tube and look up meat packing or any similar video or website on corporate food production. Or check the US Food and Drug Administration website for food regulations - you will find the standard for how many rat hairs are allowed in a box of cereal!There's tons of info available, you don't have to do primary research.

Again, just my opinion, but I like to know what's in what I eat.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

beeblebrox wrote:It is naive to think that everyone would have the means (even the slightest ones) or the ability to do a basic research, to judge the information's values, or to keep up to date on things... but even then, if it was everyone's own responsibility to check up on everything themselves, especially by digging up in the way that you suggested, then there will be no time for them to do anything that is worthwhile.
The basic research is already done, all that is required is to have sufficient motivation to access it.
Many people seem to have time for video games, The Bachelor, Entertainment Tonight, net surfing (!), marathon shopping at the mall, football, or whatever. Perhaps a few minutes on one's health isn't such a burden?

It's not rocket science. Eat real food, as close to the natural form as you can get. Avoid all processed food, manipulated food, fast food, and pretty much anything that comes off a production line or in a box; eat certified organic as often as possible (not 'Natural," which is a useless term for assessing healthy foods). Drink clean water. Basic common sense healthy behaviors.

Unfortunately, many people have learned helplessness and wait for someone else to tell them what to do and come solve their problems. Or, they want a problem fixed but are not willing to change or step outside their comfort zone to fix it. As an RN, not without compassion, I've found this is just a sad fact.

Each of us is ultimately responsible for caring for our own bodies. Science and the government can only do so much, you have to do your part. Is that unreasonable?? :shrug:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

robertk wrote:a favorite recipe...

:jawdrop:

At first I thought that was a joke :rolleye:
robertk

Post by robertk »

Justsit wrote:

never knock home cooking.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

robertk wrote:
Justsit wrote:

never knock home cooking.
:rofl:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Justsit wrote:
The basic research is already done, all that is required is to have sufficient motivation to access it.
Many people seem to have time for video games, The Bachelor, Entertainment Tonight, net surfing (!), marathon shopping at the mall, football, or whatever. Perhaps a few minutes on one's health isn't such a burden?

It's not rocket science. Eat real food, as close to the natural form as you can get. Avoid all processed food, manipulated food, fast food, and pretty much anything that comes off a production line or in a box; eat certified organic as often as possible (not 'Natural," which is a useless term for assessing healthy foods). Drink clean water. Basic common sense healthy behaviors.

Unfortunately, many people have learned helplessness and wait for someone else to tell them what to do and come solve their problems. Or, they want a problem fixed but are not willing to change or step outside their comfort zone to fix it. As an RN, not without compassion, I've found this is just a sad fact.

Each of us is ultimately responsible for caring for our own bodies. Science and the government can only do so much, you have to do your part. Is that unreasonable?? :shrug:
Justsit, have you got any kids? Oh and all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Mr Man wrote:... all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
Of course, I read and study a variety of sources. Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying people need to come up with all the answers themselves, just that they can find the "hidden facts" in readily available sources.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:... all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
Of course, I read and study a variety of sources. Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying people need to come up with all the answers themselves, just that they can find the "hidden facts" in readily available sources.

My point is that we are a part of society. Our responsibility goes beyond just ourselves. We are "Science and the government".
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Mr Man wrote: We are "Science and the government".
How so?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.