Old Buddha

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ceisiwr

Old Buddha

Post by Ceisiwr »

Why is there never a statue or picture of Buddha as an old man?

I did fine one on google but cant find it now
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Old Buddha

Post by DNS »

clw_uk wrote:Why is there never a statue or picture of Buddha as an old man?
Good question. I'm guessing that the people who requested the sculptures or whoever made them, preferred the younger looking Gotama - Buddha. He did live to the age of 80, so I imagine he may have had some wrinkles in later life. In Theravada we don't see him as being immune to the frailties of old age and disease; just that he did not suffer.
Individual

Post by Individual »

I think it has to do with the nature of Indian art. Indian art emphasizes simplicity and symbolism, which is a sharp contrast to western art which favors accuracy and\or aesthetic pleasure. The main feature of old age -- wrinkles -- is likely extremely uncommon in any Indian statue of anybody. Statues likely are made which symbolically represent an old person (ex: Buddha shortly prior to his death) but because of the lack of detail, you can't tell.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
BlackBird

What's the word?

Post by BlackBird »

Someone told me that the Buddha image was influenced by Greek culture of making statues.

Maybe we could comission an "old Buddha" someday Craig?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

there's statues of a skinny starving siddhartha (which i really want one of) maybe thats what you saw and not an old buddha?

and the greeks were the 1st to make buddha statues so the earliest images we have of him are very beautiful greek god/hero looking images.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Technically, these are "old" images of Buddha since it is depicting the parinibbana, when he was 80 years old. But the face still looks like a young Gotama-Buddha.

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

well having a gold face and all its understandable he wouldnt wrinkle :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

jcsuperstar wrote:there's statues of a skinny starving siddhartha (which i really want one of) maybe thats what you saw and not an old buddha?
Do you mean these statues?

Ascetic pratices can make one look old... :smile:

"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Wow thanks for the pics :)

On an image of Buddha as an old man, its a shame there arent any statues of him at old age. For me it would make it more life like
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Kare

Post by Kare »

clw_uk wrote:Wow thanks for the pics :)

On an image of Buddha as an old man, its a shame there arent any statues of him at old age. For me it would make it more life like
Why don't you make one? Or ask some sculptor to make one? People seem to have felt free to make Buddha images in a large variety of shapes already, so the Buddha as an old man should be perfectly acceptable. None of the images are real portraits, anyway. They are just visual expressions of a concept.

This saying from the Mahaparinibbanasutta might serve as a starting point for conceiving the image:

"Now I am frail, Ananda, old, aged, far gone in years. This is my eightieth year, and my life is spent. Even as an old cart, Ananda, is held together with much difficulty, so the body of the Tathagata is kept going only with supports."
Mettāya,
Kåre