Significant Buddhist trees (not Bodhi Tree)

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear David/Members,

I wonder why some Bodhi Tree pictures were gone...so I would like to post some:

Bodhi Tree
----------------
Sal(Sala) Tree
Religious significance

Queen Māyā giving birth to the Buddha

In Hindu tradition, the sal tree is said to be favoured by Vishnu.[3] Its name shala, shaal or sal, comes from Sanskrit (शाल, śāla, literally "house"), a name that suggests it for housing timber; other names in the Sanskrit language are ashvakarna, chiraparna and sarja, among many others.[4]

The sal tree is often confused with the ashoka tree (Saraca indica) in the ancient literature of the Indian Subcontinent.

In Buddhist tradition, it is said that Queen Māyā of Sakya gave birth to Gautama Buddha under a sal tree or an asoka tree in a garden in Lumbini, in south Nepal, while grasping its branch. When this event took place, Queen Māyā was en route to birth him in his grandfather's kingdom. It is also said that four pairs of sal trees growing around the Buddha's bed suddenly turned white when he died.

There is a standard decorative element of Hindu Indian sculpture which originated in a yakshi grasping the branch of a flowering tree while setting her foot against its roots.[5] This decorative sculptural element was integrated into Indian temple architecture as salabhanjika or "sal tree maiden", although it is not clear either whether it is a sal tree or an asoka tree.[6]

In Kathmandu Valley of Nepal, one can find typical Nepali pagoda temple architectures with very rich wooden carvings, and most of the temples, such as Nyatapol Temple (Nyatapola), are made of bricks and sal tree wood.
------
Sal tree resin, ṛla in Sanskrit, is used as an astringent in Ayurvedic medicine.[7] It is also burned as incense in Hindu ceremonies, and sal seeds and fruit are a source of lamp oil and vegetable fat.

Sal Tree( or Sala Tree, shala Tree)

Sala tree's flower.. beautiful, sweet scented flower

Sala fruits

--------------

Asoka Tree(or Ashoka Tree....sorrowless tree)..In Hinduism, Saraca Indica is a Sacred Tree

In Hinduism the ashoka is considered a sacred tree. Not counting a multitude of local traditions connected to it, the ashoka tree is worshipped in Chaitra, the first month of the Hindu Calendar. It is also associated with Kamadeva, the Hindu god of Love, who included an Ashoka blossom among the five flowers in his quiver. Hence, the ashoka tree is often mentioned in classical Indian religious and amorous poetry, having at least 16 different names in Sanskrit referring to the tree or its flowers.

Banyan Tree..Indian national tree
********** :anjali:
yawares/tidathep :heart:
daverupa

Re: Significant Buddhist trees (not Bodhi Tree)

Post by daverupa »

That dog is doing some interesting veneration to that Banyan...

:clap:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
yawares

Significant Buddhist trees (not Bodhi tree)

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

There were 4 Buddhas who attained enlightenment sitting under the beautiful Naga trees: Mangala, Sumana, Revata and Sobhita. :anjali: :heart:

Naga Tree

color change leaves

Naga Tree in bloom..sweet smell flowers!

:candle: Naga tree (Mesua Ferrea Lin) :candle:
[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia][/b]

Naga Tree {Mesua ferrea (Ceylon ironwood, Indian rose chestnut, or Cobra's saffron)}, [/color]is a species in the family Calophyllaceae. This slow-growing tree is named after the heaviness and hardness of its timber. It is widely cultivated as an ornamental due to its graceful shape, grayish-green foliage with a beautiful pink to red flush of drooping young leaves, and large, fragrant white flowers. It is native to wet, tropical parts of Sri Lanka, India, southern Nepal, Burma, Thailand, Indochina, the Philippines, Malaysia and Sumatra, where it grows in evergreen forests, especially in river valleys. In the eastern Himalayas and Western Ghats in India it grows up to altitudes of 1500 meters, while in Sri Lanka up to 1000 meters.

Description

The tree can grow over 30 meters tall, often buttressed at the base with a trunk up to 2 meters in diameter. The bark of younger trees has an ash grey color with flaky peelings, while of old trees the bark is dark ash-grey with a red-brown blaze. It has simple, opposite, narrow, oblong to lanceolate, blue-grey to dark green leaves that are 7–15 cm long and 1.5–3.5 cm wide, with a whitish underside. The emerging young leaves are red to yellowish pink and drooping. The branches are slender, terete and glabrous. The bisexual flowers are 4–7.5 cm in diameter, with four white petals and a center of numerous orange yellow stamens. The fruit is an ovoid to globose capsule with 1 to 2 seeds. [2]

[edit] History of the tree in Sri Lanka

In the dry zone areas of Sri Lanka—where ironwood trees normally do not grow wild, large, old ironwood trees can be seen around the remains of ancient Buddhist monasteries on rocky hills around Dambulla such as Na Uyana Aranya, Namal Uyana, Na-golla Aranya, Pidurangala near Sigiriya, Kaludiya Pokuna near Kandalama, and Ritigala. They are probably the descendants of trees planted as ornamentals in the monasteries in ancient times during the Anuradhapura period. Older trees form suckers or shoots from the base of the trunk, which become new trees when the old trunk falls down; therefore the bases and roots of some ironwood trees in these sites might be very old.[3]

[edit] Uses

As the English name indicates, the wood of this tree is very heavy, hard and strong. The density is 940 to 1,195 kg/m3 (59 to 75 lb/ft3) at 15% moisture content. The colour is deep dark red. It is hard to saw and is mainly used for railroad ties and heavy structural timber. [4] In Sri Lanka the pillars of the 14th century Embekke Shrine near Kandy are made of iron tree wood.[5]

The flowers, leaves, seeds and roots have medicinal properties and are used as herbal medicines in India, Malaysia, etc.

yawares/sirikanya/tep :heart: :anjali:
yawares

Significant Buddhist trees(not Bodhi Tree)

Post by yawares »

Dear David/Members,

Have I told you lately that Anomadassi Buddha attained enlightenment sitting under the beautiful Ajjuna(Arjuna) tree?? Well dear dhamma-friends..I'm telling you now :anjali:

:heart: Ajjuna tree (Termina Arjuna) with fruits :heart:

Ajjuna Tree with flowers :heart:

Ajjuna Tree bark :heart:

[From Wikipedia]
Habitat:

This ayurvedic herb is especially seen in Himalayan forests, Bengal, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh of India. It is commonly found in dry hill areas in the form of rows of several plants by the side of water bodies - rivers, streams and ravines. It is also planted in many parts of India for shade and for ornamental purposes. It thrives best on loose moist, fertile alluvial loams and light deep sandy soils, often overlying more or less impervious rock. The soil should have ample water supplies but should normally be well-drained. The soil under this tree becomes rich in calcium as the leaves are rich in this element.

The Plant:
This tree is about 60-80 feet in height. The tree of Arjuna is large, evergreen with a spreading crown and drooping branches.

Bark Of Terminalia arjuna:
It is simple, grey and smooth on external surface. The bark is thick, soft and of red color from inside.

The Leaves:
Leaves are like that of Guava leaves - oblong, 4-6 inch long and 2-3 inch wide, subopposite, glabrous and often inequilateral. There are two glands near the base of the petiole. The margin is crenulate with apex at obtuse or subacute angle. The base is rounded or cordate. Petioles run for 0.5 to 1.3 cm.

Flowers:
White or yellowish flowers are found in groups. Flowering occurs in summer and fruits appear in winter or spring season.

Fruits:
The fruits are 1-1.5 inch in diameter and with 5-7 longitudinal lobes. These are glabrous with five to seven wings, woody and fibrous. Fruit is drupe and is often notched near the top, marked with oblique upward curving striations.

Terminalia Arjuna - This ayurvedic herb is cardio-protective, cardiac tonic and cardiac stimulant, anti-hypertensive, anti-ischemic. See the herb pictures of this medicinal herb. The pictures of various medicinal parts as well as whole herb pictures and description of this medicinal plant is presented.

*********** :anjali:
:heart: yawares/sirikanya/tep :heart:
yawares

Post by yawares »

The Kondanna Buddha's Salakalyan tree (Oroxylum Indicum)
Dear Members,

I tried so hard to search for this Salakalyan tree(Oroxylum Indicum) a native tree of India, held sacred by the Buddhists, who believe that Kondanna Buddha received enlightenment under this tree. I searched 'Salakayan tree'..found nothing! Search for 'Oroxylum Indicum', yes..yes!

As medicine

Salakalyan tree (Oroxylum Indicum)
[From Wikipedia and Toptropical]

Known as Broken Bones Plant, Indian Trumpet Flower, Midnight Horror
Origin: India and Southern China

The tree is often grown as an ornamental for its strange appearance. The long, podded fruits hang down from bear branches, looking like dangling sickles or swords in the night. The tree is also a night-bloomer and is pollinized naturally by bats. Additionally, after the large leaf stalks wither, they fall off the tree and collect near the base of the trunk, appearing to look like a pile of broken limb bones.

Oroxylum indicum is native to the Indian subcontinent, in the Himalayan foothills with a part extending to Bhutan and southern China, in Indo-China and the Malesia ecozone.

It is visible in the forest biome of Manas National Park in Assam, India. It is found, raised and planted in large number in the forest areas of the Banswara district in the state of Rajasthan in India.

It is also reported from Sri Lanka (Ceylon).[5]

Indian trumpet tree or broken bones plant is a key constituent of various Ayurvedic formulations such as Chyavanprash, Dashmoola and other tonics. It is an evergreen tree that grows to a height of 65-75 feet. It bears large trifoliate leaves with three ovate leaflets. It bears purple flowers that grow in inflorescence bloom at night. Therefore, they are pollinated by bats. It has elongated fruits that hang from the branches. The fruits bear many round and papery winged seeds. The plant is a native of India and China but also grows in Bhutan and Philippines also.

Part used: Seeds and root bark

Chemical composition: Chrysie, baicalein, oils and flavonoids

Medical benefits: Root bark is an astringent. It is used as a tonic. It also has anti-rheumatic properties and provides relief from pain and inflammation. Its bark is used to treat sore throat, cough, asthma, lung problems, bronchitis, diarrhea, and dysentery. It improves appetite and reduces fever. Externally, a paste of the roots is used to heal wounds. Gargling with decoction made from the plant reduces mouth sores. The leaves are also beneficial. Decoction made from the leaves improves the appetite and reduces pain. Hot fomentation of the leaves can give relief from fever, and reduce swelling in joints. Lab studies have indicated that extract of the seeds is antiseptic and antibacterial. It reduces cough, wheezing, and inflammation in joints. It can decrease tumor cells and is helpful in cancer.

I have 'orange trumpet vine' medium shrub in my garden with same kind of bone-pods..attract Humming birds/butterflies..very pretty indeed/easy to grow(perennial).
If you can search 'Salakalyan Tree' and find information/pictures..please let me know! :thanks:
yawares/tidathep/tep :heart: :anjali:
manas

Post by manas »

"I thought: 'I recall once, when my father the Sakyan was working, and I was sitting in the cool shade of a rose-apple tree, then — quite secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful mental qualities — I entered & remained in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Manas,

Thank you very much, very pretty picture indeed. We have rose-apple in Thailand too..we call them 'Jambu',
Thai people love to plant them in the garden...they taste so good!

yawares :heart:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

According to The Dhamma Encyclopedia, the Paduma Buddha and Narada Buddha were sitting under the beautiful Maha Sona trees when he became enlightened.

I searched yahoo for Sona Tree, India and found 2 Sona trees..Sona Chura and Sona Champa. Both trees are so very beautiful. 'Sona' means gold/golden.

Sona Chura Tree

The streets of Dwarka, New Delhi are now bright shinning with yellow flowers of Sona chura trees lined across the streets. The bright yellow colors stay only for few day before giving way to green leaves and truly a treat for the eyes.

The streets of Dwarka, New Delhi

Common name: Amaltas, Golden shower tree, Indian Laburnum • Hindi: अमलतास Amaltas • Manipuri: চহুঈ Chahui • Tamil: கொன்றை Konrai • Malayalam: Vishu konnai • Marathi: बहावा Bahava • Mizo: Ngaingaw • Bengali: সোনালী Sonali, Bandarlati, Amultas • Urdu: املتاس Amaltas

This native of India, is one of the most beautiful of all tropical trees when it sheds its leaves and bursts into a mass of long, grape-bunches like yellow gold flowers. A tropical ornamental tree with a trunk consisting of hard reddish wood, growing up to 40 feet tall. The wood is hard and heavy; it is used for cabinet, inlay work, etc. It has showy racemes, up to 2" long, with bright, yellow, fragrant flowers. These flowers are attractive to bees and butterflies. The fruits are dark-brown cylindrical pods, also 2' long, which also hold the flattish, brown seeds (up to 100 in one pod) These seeds are in cells, each containing a single seed. A postal stamp was issued by the Indian Postal Department to commemorate this tree.

Medicinal uses: The sweet blackish pulp of the seedpod is used as a mild laxative.

Note: Sona Chura Tree is THAILAND NATIONAL TREE...we call it "KOON TREE/GOLDEN SHOWER FLOWER"

Sona Champa Tree, Sacred Flower of India

Sona means gold or golden. It also means beautiful. we believe the word sona cannot be easily described - it must be experienced! In India, there is a tale about the sona champa, a delicate, golden flower that possesses an ethereal fragrance once prized by the people of India. The sona champa tree has glossy, green leaves and can grow as tall as 100 feet in a pyramidal shape. Legend has it that when the tree is in full bloom, covered with fragrant, golden blossoms, a celestial god and goddess descend to dance around it, enjoying the rare and exquisite beauty and the divine fragrance. This heavenly splendor is the true experience of the word Sona!
---------
Note: In Thailand we love to give Sona-Champa flowers and Jasmine flowers put together as lei/garland to the Buddha statues at our houses or at temples.

yawares/tidathep :heart: :anjali:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Yawares, this is an excellent topic, thank you so much!
I have often wondered what the other past buddhas trees looked like. :anjali:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

This blog post may be of interest: "A Handful Of Leaves" from Ven. Dhammika's "dhamma musings " blog.

http://sdhammika.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02 ... eaves.html
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Ayutthaya Thailand
Tree.jpg
Tree.jpg (266.71 KiB) Viewed 60692 times
yawares

Post by yawares »

James the Giant wrote:Yawares, this is an excellent topic, thank you so much!
I have often wondered what the other past buddhas trees looked like. :anjali:
Dear James the Giant,

I should be the one who thank you...your comment encourages me to keep on doing research on THE PAST BUDDHAS TREES. :heart:

yawares :anjali:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Mr Man wrote:This blog post may be of interest: "A Handful Of Leaves" from Ven. Dhammika's "dhamma musings " blog.

http://sdhammika.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02 ... eaves.html
-------------------
Dear Mr Man,

Thank you very much for the link..The Simsapa tree reminds me of the great love story of Kamanita/Vasitti that I posted last year. Please let me share your SIMSAPA TREE link with all members.

Simsapa tree
[ by Shravasti Dhammika at 4:24 PM Tuesday, February 19, 2013]

A Handful Of Leaves

On one occasion the Lord was staying at Kosambi in a grove of simsapa trees. Then he took a handful of simsapa leaves and said to the monks; “What do you think? Which is the more numerous, this handful of leaves or those in this grove?” “Lord, the leaves in your hand are few but the leaves in this simsapa grove are many.” “So too, monks, those things I know directly but have not taught you are many, while the things I have taught you are few in comparison. Any why have I not taught you those many things? Because they are not connected with the goal, not fundamental to the holy life, they do not conduce to the good, to turning away, to fading, to calming, to higher knowledge or to Nirvana. And what have I taught? The Four Noble Truths. And why have I taught this? Because it is connected with the goal, fundamental to the holy life, conducive to the good, to turning away, to fading, calming, higher knowledge and to Nirvana.” (S.V,437-8)

This sutta tells us that enlightenment makes available to those who attain it vistas of knowledge that we can only imagine. It also underlines the Buddha’s pragmatism, that his principle concern was to free us from dukkha, and by implication, that it should be our main concern too. But the sutta might also raise curiosity in some people at least about the simpapa tree and leaves. For your information simpapa is Indian Rosewood, (Dalbergia sissoo) and here is a picture of its leaves

The Simsapa tree
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simsapa tree, India

Dalbergia sissoo(Rosewood Tree)..flowers

Seed Pods.

Dalbergia sissoo (or Indian Rosewood) (), is a deciduous rosewood tree, also known as sisu, sheesham, tahli/Tali/ , or Irugudujava. It is native to the Indian Subcontinent and Southern Iran. In Persian, it is called Jag. It is the state tree of Punjab state (India) and the provincial tree of Punjab province (Pakistan). It is primarily found growing along river banks below elevation, but can range naturally up to . The temperature in its native range averages , but varies from just below freezing to nearly . It can withstand average annual rainfall up to and droughts of 3 4 months. Soils range from pure sand and gravel to rich alluvium of river banks; shisham can grow in slightly saline soils. Seedlings are intolerant of shade.

Second to teak wood, it is the most important cultivated timber tree of the Bihar, which is the largest producer of shisham timber in both India and Pakistan. In the Bihar, the tree is planted on roadsides, along canals and as a common shade tree for tea plantations. It is also commonly planted in the southern Indian cities as a street tree.

"Indian rosewood" is a medium to large deciduous tree with a light crown which reproduces by seeds and suckers. It can grow up to a maximum of 82 feet in height with a spread from about 15 to 50 feet, but it is usually smaller.

NOTE:
The Simsapa tree (Pali: siṃsapā) is mentioned in ancient Buddhist
discourses traditionally believed to have been delivered 2,500 years
ago. The tree has been identified as either Dalbergia sissoo,[1] a
rosewood tree common to India and southeast Asia, or Amherstia
nobilis, another South Asian tree, of the family Caesalpiniaceae.

Amherstia nobilis

Buddhist scriptural references

In Buddhism's Pali Canon,[2] there is a discourse entitled, "The
Simsapa Grove" (SN 56.31). This discourse is described as having been
delivered by the Buddha to monks while dwelling beneath a simsapa
grove in the city of Kosambi. In this discourse, the Buddha compares a
few simsapa leaves in his hand with the number of simsapa leaves
overhead in the grove to illustrate what he teaches (in particular,
the Four Noble Truths) and what he does not teach (things unrelated to
the holy life).[3]

Elsewhere in the Pali Canon, samsapa groves are mentioned in the
"Payasi Sutta" (DN 23)[4] and in the "Hatthaka Discourse" (AN 3.34).[5][6]

yawares/tidathep :heart:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

According to The Dhamma Encyclopedia, Padumuttara Buddha was sitting under the beautiful Salala tree (Pinus Longiflis) when he became enlightened.
"

-----------------------
Salala Tree (Pinus Longiflis/longifolia)
[Henriette's Herbal Homepage]

blue pine pinus longifolia

Long-leaved, evergreen Indian Pine, native to Himalaya Mountains. The seeds are eaten in India and are of some importance as food in times of scarcity.

yawares/tidathep :heart: :anjali:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

According to The Dhamma Encyclopedia, Phussa Buddha was sitting under the beautiful Amalaka tree (Phyllanthus Emblica) when he became enlightened.

Amalaka tree (Phyllanthus Emblica)
[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

also known as indian gooseberry juice amalaka juice

Phyllanthus emblica (syn. Emblica officinalis), the Indian gooseberry, or aamla from Sanskrit amalika, is a deciduous tree of the family Phyllanthaceae. It is known for its edible fruit of the same name.

The tree is small to medium in size, reaching 8 to 18 m in height, with a crooked trunk and spreading branches. The branchlets are glabrous or finely pubescent, 10–20 cm long, usually deciduous; the leaves are simple, subsessile and closely set along branchlets, light green, resembling pinnate leaves. The flowers are greenish-yellow. The fruit is nearly spherical, light greenish yellow, quite smooth and hard on appearance, with six vertical stripes or furrows.

Ripening in autumn, the berries are harvested by hand after climbing to upper branches bearing the fruits. The taste of Indian gooseberry is sour, bitter and astringent, and it is quite fibrous. In India, it is common to eat gooseberries steeped in salt water and turmeric to make the sour fruits palatable[citation needed]. It is also used to straighten hair.

Cultural and religious significance

In the Sanskrit Buddhist tradition half an amalaka fruit was the final gift to the Buddhist sangha by the great Indian emperor Asoka. This is illustrated in the Asokavadana in the following verses: "A great donor, the lord of men, the eminent Maurya Asoka, has gone from being lord of Jambudvipa [India] to being lord of half a myrobalan." (Strong, 1983, P.99)[16] This deed became so famous that a stupa was created to mark place of the event in modern day Patna and was known as the Amalaka stupa.

The tree is considered sacred by Hindus as the god Vishnu is believed to dwell here. The tree is worshipped on Amalaka Ekadashi.

------
[edit] Medicinal use

In traditional Indian medicine, dried and fresh fruits of the plant are used. All parts of the plant are used in various Ayurvedic/Unani medicine (Jawarish amla) herbal preparations, including the fruit, seed, leaves, root, bark and flowers.[17] According to Ayurveda, aamla fruit is sour (amla) and astringent (kashaya) in taste (rasa), with sweet (madhura), bitter (tikta) and pungent (katu) secondary tastes (anurasas).[17] Its qualities (gunas) are light (laghu) and dry (ruksha), the postdigestive effect (vipaka) is sweet (madhura), and its energy (virya) is cooling (shita).[12]

According to Ayurveda, aamla balances all three doshas. While aamla is unusual in that it contains five out of the six tastes recognized by Ayurved, it is most important to recognize the effects of the "virya", or potency, and "vipaka", or post-digestive effect. Considered in this light, aamla is particularly helpful in reducing pitta due to its cooling energy.[17] and balances both Pitta and vata by virtue of its sweet taste. The kapha is balanced primarily due to its drying action. It may be used as a rasayana (rejuvenative) to promote longevity, and traditionally to enhance digestion (dipanapachana), treat constipation (anuloma), reduce fever (jvaraghna), purify the blood (raktaprasadana), reduce cough (kasahara), alleviate asthma (svasahara), strengthen the heart (hrdaya), benefit the eyes (chakshushya), stimulate hair growth (romasanjana), enliven the body (jivaniya), and enhance intellect (medhya).[17]
----------
Culinary use

Particularly in South India, the fruit is pickled with salt, oil, and spices. Aamla is eaten raw or cooked into various dishes. In Andhra Pradesh, tender varieties are used to prepare dal (a lentil preparation), and amle ka murabbah, a sweet dish indigenous to the northern part of India (wherein the berries are soaked in sugar syrup for a long time till they are imparted the sweet flavor); it is traditionally consumed after meals.

Note: These fruit pickled are quite popular in Thailand, I loved loved to eat them when I was in Thailand...so yummy. May be that's why I'm so strong/healthy.
-------------
[edit] Other uses

Popularly used in inks, shampoos and hair oils, the high tannin content of Indian gooseberry fruit serves as a mordant for fixing dyes in fabrics.[17] Amla shampoos and hair oil are traditionally believed to nourish the hair and scalp and prevent premature grey hair

yawares/tidathep