"My" formless understanding, of, but not limited to anything

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Analyticism

"My" formless understanding, of, but not limited to anything

Post by Analyticism »

"I" have a, what would seem, is a formless understanding of, but not limited to, anything
As far as what "I" understand in buddhism, "I" couldn't tell you the non-english names of the 10 fetters, and "I've" never read the Pali
I'd say my understanding of it is basic, yet I seem to be able to answer any of the questions I see people have on this site, which is odd.

"My" understanding is formless, yet, is not limited to the concept of formlessness,

It is ineffable, which is why "I" am hesitant of describing "it" in any words at all... the probability of misinterpretation seems so high even as I skillfully try to find the right methods and words to get this across...

It is very related to intuition, and insight, but is not LIMITED to those concepts, you could see it as...
EITHER PERCEIVING, or NOT PERCEIVING
NEITHER PERCEIVING, nor NOT PERCEIVING
BOTH PERCEIVING, and NOT PERCEIVING
SOME, and/or NONE OF THOSE, and/or but not limited to ALL OF THOSE

Keep in mind, by understanding, I mean understanding, not just limited to Buddhism and such.

I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here, and see what words you all use to relate to this?
tiltbillings

Re: "My" formless understanding, of, but not limited to anything

Post by tiltbillings »

Analyticism wrote:I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here,
An interesting set of claims, of which we have seen variations here before. Is it intriguing?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here, and see what words you all use to relate to this?
Hello,

Well moving on to the important issues ..Does your formless understanding help you to make a decent cuppa tea?

:)
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Analyticism wrote: "My" understanding is formless, yet, is not limited to the concept of formlessness,

It is ineffable, which is why "I" am hesitant of describing "it" in any words at all... the probability of misinterpretation seems so high even as I skillfully try to find the right methods and words to get this across...
Hi Analyticism,

Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems like that might because there's still an attachment to the form... i.e., trying to get it perfect, and exactly to the form, in the way that you think it should be understood by someone.
Keep in mind, by understanding, I mean understanding, not just limited to Buddhism and such.
:anjali:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Analyticism wrote: Keep in mind, by understanding, I mean understanding, not just limited to Buddhism and such.
That all sounds wonderful. What happens when someone cuts you off in traffic?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Edit:

I defer to SDC's elegant statement below which avoids the unnecessariness of the statement previously occupying this post of mine.
Last edited by Polar Bear on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
SDC

Post by SDC »

Analyticism wrote:"I" have a, what would seem, is a formless understanding of, but not limited to, anything
As far as what "I" understand in buddhism, "I" couldn't tell you the non-english names of the 10 fetters, and "I've" never read the Pali
I'd say my understanding of it is basic, yet I seem to be able to answer any of the questions I see people have on this site, which is odd.

"My" understanding is formless, yet, is not limited to the concept of formlessness,

It is very related to intuition, and insight, but is not LIMITED to those concepts, you could see it as...
EITHER PERCEIVING, or NOT PERCEIVING
NEITHER PERCEIVING, nor NOT PERCEIVING
BOTH PERCEIVING, and NOT PERCEIVING
SOME, and/or NONE OF THOSE, and/or but not limited to ALL OF THOSE

Wait, what?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:
Analyticism wrote:I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here,
An interesting set of claims, of which we have seen variations here before. Is it intriguing?
certainly, I seam to remember something of a duplicate of this OP at one point. And no not at all!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I think Analyticism must be a Pacceka Buddha. :shrug:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
ground

Post by ground »

Analyticism wrote:I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here, and see what words you all use to relate to this?
Not intriguing. Anyway keep at it or try something else and let go thinking about alleged characteristics of yours. :sage:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Analytic
What do you call the white space in your venn diagram?

:)
By the way, have you read this book?
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”