"My" formless understanding, of, but not limited to anything

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom
Analyticism
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

"My" formless understanding, of, but not limited to anything

Postby Analyticism » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 am

"I" have a, what would seem, is a formless understanding of, but not limited to, anything
As far as what "I" understand in buddhism, "I" couldn't tell you the non-english names of the 10 fetters, and "I've" never read the Pali
I'd say my understanding of it is basic, yet I seem to be able to answer any of the questions I see people have on this site, which is odd.

"My" understanding is formless, yet, is not limited to the concept of formlessness,

It is ineffable, which is why "I" am hesitant of describing "it" in any words at all... the probability of misinterpretation seems so high even as I skillfully try to find the right methods and words to get this across...

It is very related to intuition, and insight, but is not LIMITED to those concepts, you could see it as...
EITHER PERCEIVING, or NOT PERCEIVING
NEITHER PERCEIVING, nor NOT PERCEIVING
BOTH PERCEIVING, and NOT PERCEIVING
SOME, and/or NONE OF THOSE, and/or but not limited to ALL OF THOSE

Keep in mind, by understanding, I mean understanding, not just limited to Buddhism and such.

I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here, and see what words you all use to relate to this?

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: "My" formless understanding, of, but not limited to anything

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 am

Analyticism wrote:I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here,
An interesting set of claims, of which we have seen variations here before. Is it intriguing?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am

I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here, and see what words you all use to relate to this?

Hello,

Well moving on to the important issues ..Does your formless understanding help you to make a decent cuppa tea?

:)

beeblebrox
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby beeblebrox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Analyticism wrote:"My" understanding is formless, yet, is not limited to the concept of formlessness,

It is ineffable, which is why "I" am hesitant of describing "it" in any words at all... the probability of misinterpretation seems so high even as I skillfully try to find the right methods and words to get this across...

Hi Analyticism,

Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems like that might because there's still an attachment to the form... i.e., trying to get it perfect, and exactly to the form, in the way that you think it should be understood by someone.

Keep in mind, by understanding, I mean understanding, not just limited to Buddhism and such.

:anjali:

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Analyticism wrote:Keep in mind, by understanding, I mean understanding, not just limited to Buddhism and such.

That all sounds wonderful. What happens when someone cuts you off in traffic?
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html

polarbuddha101
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby polarbuddha101 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Edit:

I defer to SDC's elegant statement below which avoids the unnecessariness of the statement previously occupying this post of mine.
Last edited by polarbuddha101 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

SDC

Postby SDC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Analyticism wrote:"I" have a, what would seem, is a formless understanding of, but not limited to, anything
As far as what "I" understand in buddhism, "I" couldn't tell you the non-english names of the 10 fetters, and "I've" never read the Pali
I'd say my understanding of it is basic, yet I seem to be able to answer any of the questions I see people have on this site, which is odd.

"My" understanding is formless, yet, is not limited to the concept of formlessness,

It is very related to intuition, and insight, but is not LIMITED to those concepts, you could see it as...
EITHER PERCEIVING, or NOT PERCEIVING
NEITHER PERCEIVING, nor NOT PERCEIVING
BOTH PERCEIVING, and NOT PERCEIVING
SOME, and/or NONE OF THOSE, and/or but not limited to ALL OF THOSE

Wait, what?

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Analyticism wrote:I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here,
An interesting set of claims, of which we have seen variations here before. Is it intriguing?

certainly, I seam to remember something of a duplicate of this OP at one point. And no not at all!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 am

I think Analyticism must be a Pacceka Buddha. :shrug:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11

ground

Postby ground » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:40 am

Analyticism wrote:I'd like to know if this intrigues anyone here, and see what words you all use to relate to this?

Not intriguing. Anyway keep at it or try something else and let go thinking about alleged characteristics of yours. :sage:

SarathW
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby SarathW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 am

Hi Analytic
What do you call the white space in your venn diagram?

:)
By the way, have you read this book?
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf

Return to “Theravāda for the modern world”