Got Any Anti-Nausea, Upset Stomach Tips?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
danieLion

Got Any Anti-Nausea, Upset Stomach Tips?

Post by danieLion »

These antibiotics (Flagyl, Zyvox; I think it's mostly the Flagyl; but the Zyvox makes it very wobbly, too) make me constanlty nauseous. Anyone got any advice?

What I'm using now:

-Chamomile tea
-lemon
-ginger
-probiotics (non-dairy)
-green tea
-epsom salt baths
-room tempature water
-i think food helps, but i'm forcing it down; taking them with Ritz Crackers

What i can't/won't use:
-marijuana (i don't smoke, but i know people who swear by this; but the discharge instructions said no smoking of any kind)
-promethazine or other pharmaceutical anti-emetics (maybe as a last resort if i start barfing)
:anjali:
Ben

Re: Got Any Anti-Nausea, Upset Stomach Tips?

Post by Ben »

Hi Daniel
What about over-the-counter travel sickness medication?
I also know that ginger works for some people with a nausea.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The ginger needs to be the fresh root, grated and made into a 'tea'..steeped for several minutes. Many people find it more palatable with honey and a little lemon.
The probiotic needs to be in capsule form..the yoghurt type drinks are of limited use.

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Try googling "neiguan". It's an acupuncture point. Don't bother with the gobbledy-gook, but I swear by it on sea-sickness and stomach flu. You don't need a needle. See this for instructions - http://exploreim.ucla.edu/chinese-medic ... -point-p6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be a subject of growing Western interest -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22644205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
corrine

Post by corrine »

Someone else said ginger has to be fresh etc. I cannot do ginger tea. The smell makes me even more nauseated. So I started using ginger capsules a few years ago. I take two with a very large glass of water (because the ginger can burn the throat) and it works for me. I have a lot of nausea due to a medication I must take and I do not know how I would function without the ginger.

If you can use ginger tea, wonderful. But if you cannot, the capsules may work for you as they do for me. And they are cheap. I pay a little over four dollars on amazon for sixty capsules.

corrine
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Sea-bands will press the point Sylvester suggested. They are cheap And I found them effective.

Fresh ginger seems to be more effective for nausea, with dried being a more powerful digestive stimulant. 1/4 inch slice, skinned an salted on one side. Salt takes the burn off the ginger. Taking the ginger with some starch seems to make it more effective, re: a few ritz

Bonine is an OTC anti emetic that works pretty well. Marijuana and it's synthetic derivatives will be the most effective by FAR. You can also ask your doctor for marinol, which is a synthetic anti emetic made from marijuana that is mostly non intoxicating. You can also get edible marijuana if its legal in your state... Low doses shouldn't be intoxicating.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I agree with corrine that ginger capsules work for nausea...in my experience.

poto

Post by poto »

marc108 wrote: Bonine is an OTC anti emetic that works pretty well. Marijuana and it's synthetic derivatives will be the most effective by FAR. You can also ask your doctor for marinol, which is a synthetic anti emetic made from marijuana that is mostly non intoxicating. You can also get edible marijuana if its legal in your state... Low doses shouldn't be intoxicating.
I too would like to suggest edible medical marijuana. If you have trouble sourcing some, you can always make your own edibles. There are many guides and instructions on how to do this available on the internet.

From my own experience with medical problems and using medical marijuana to treat them, what I found works best is taking some before bed. That way I am able to sleep through the night without pain and the 'high' is worn off by the time I wake up. Thus, I would be clear headed and able to drive and do normal things without worry during the day. Usually, some of the medicinal effects would tend to last me throughout the most of the rest of the day unless I was having a particularly bad day.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Wow! That's a lot of great advice. Thanks a lot everyone. I'll start implementing them and let you know how it goes.:anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Cloves will definitly do the trick. Please let me know how you are going with it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
manas

Post by manas »

Peppermint tea, preferably organically grown and from loose dried leaves (not 'teabags') have a soothing, anti-nausea effect also. (Just one thing from personal experience: have the tea all by itself, and don't have it, if at the same time you have lemon juice. They seem to chemically react in the stomach - ouch.) And, make sure you let the leaves steep for a good five minutes at least in the water, with a lid over them to prevent all the peppermint oils from wafting away. You want those oils in the tea.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

A few big spoons of uncooked khorasan wheat/kamut briefly soaked in thick fatty goat cream.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Thanks again.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

corrine wrote:Someone else said ginger has to be fresh etc. I cannot do ginger tea. The smell makes me even more nauseated. So I started using ginger capsules a few years ago. I take two with a very large glass of water (because the ginger can burn the throat) and it works for me. I have a lot of nausea due to a medication I must take and I do not know how I would function without the ginger.

If you can use ginger tea, wonderful. But if you cannot, the capsules may work for you as they do for me. And they are cheap. I pay a little over four dollars on amazon for sixty capsules.

corrine
I dont doubt that the capsules are effective..they contain a concentration of the most active enzyme found in ginger root..I was suggesting fresh root rather than the ginger found in your kitchen cabinet in a jar, which will be fairly inert pharmaceutically :smile:
The use of ginger to control nausea has entered the medical mainstream here in the UK and is used for example to manage that particular side effect of chemotherapy.
For those who like the fresh root it has also been found to be effective against common cold symptoms.
Incidentally crystalised ( candied ) ginger contains a certain amount of the enzyme..yum.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Ginger's usefulness seems to vary among individuals. I've used it in various forms for years. The only thing from above I haven't tried is marc108's recipe with salt because I'm out of fresh ginger. In the hospital I just chewed on it raw (got the idea from a naturopath) and chased it with ice water. Then my wife brought me some pills and I think I took too much at first as it backfired a little. I just had a cup of tea from said pills in which I opened a cap and stirred about third of it into some hot water.

I've also been drinking Hansen's ginger ale, and the burping from that with the ginger helps. I love Reed's Extra Ginger Ale and will get some of that soon because the Hansen's just makes makes me want that, as it is superior.

I've taken probiotics for years. When I first started I just took them raw which I got from a naturopathic dispensary here. I'm very lactose intolerant, and soy seems to inflammatory to me too, so lateley I've been doing 8-12 ozs. of Cultured Coconut Milk Kefir. Are the pills superior to the raw stuff?