Contribution to Thanissaro's Book distribution program

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Reductor

Contribution to Thanissaro's Book distribution program

Post by Reductor »

I would like to know how best to donate to Thanissaro's book distribution program.

Hopefully there is an online method of sending funds which will not have high service fees for a Canadian like myself.

Thanks for any info.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Contribution to Thanissaro's Book distribution program

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I'd recommend either contacting them directly and asking, sending a check with the "to" section left blank, or otherwise just sending a letter with some cash well-hidden. If you take the last option, make sure to send it so that an unsuspecting monk won't have to accidentally come in contact with the money itself when opening it.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You should call the Wat and ask how to do such a thing: 619-813-8461

The US Post Office will not deliver to the Wat's address apparently but FedEx or UPS probably would, although I'm not sure.

http://watmetta.org/contact.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Thank you both for the replies.

I had figured that his program was large enough that some online system had been established. This way donors could avoid bank charges and the like, thus allowing those charges to be put toward donations instead.

:shrug:
frank k

Post by frank k »

http://www.sati.org/books/

The sati center seems like they take online donations, they distribute the "handful of leaves", anthologies of Thanissaro's sutta translations. For thanissaro's other books, I don't know if sati center has anything to do with those.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Reductor,

I too am grateful to Ven. Thanissaro and would like to assist in spreading his books around. I would also like to build an extra monks' hut in the grounds of his monastery - and then, one day, reside in it!

Metta :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
makarasilapin

Post by makarasilapin »

electronic donations can be made to Metta Forest Monastery here: http://www1.networkforgood.org/

just type in "Wat Metta" in the keyword section, and then click on the Donations button.

this is 100% verified - i have recently confirmed this with the monastery.

:buddha2: