How do monks shave?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Coyote

How do monks shave?

Post by Coyote »

I am guessing they don't use electric razors, and I seem to remember they are not allowed to use mirrors. So how do they shave (head and face)? And how often? Is it required?

Thanks,
Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Ben

Re: How do monks shave?

Post by Ben »

you don't need a razor to shave
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

One of the basic items of a monk's kit (the Requisites) is a razor. The monks I know have Schick or Gillette three-bladed normal manual shaving razors, and shave their heads once every two weeks.
That's in the western Thai Forest Tradition.
But I don't know about the mirror thing. I never thought of that.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

To paraphrase the great Sheldon Copper, "well groomed monks meet in pairs and shave each other, case closed."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't need a mirror to shave — I know where my face is by now.

I do use an electric hair-clipper to shave the longer head hairs before using a safety razor. Some Vinaya experts will say that amounts to using scissors, but that misses the point. Its just a tool to make the job of shaving quicker and easier.

:rules: The scissors rule is about not grooming long hair to fashion it like barbers do for lay people.

In Burma, they still use open razors, and some monks shave their own heads with them too, but I prefer a standard safety razor.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Ben wrote:you don't need a razor to shave
What do you mean here? Are you thinking of something specific?
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I don't need a mirror to shave — I know where my face is by now.

I do use an electric hair-clipper to shave the longer head hairs before using a safety razor. Some Vinaya experts will say that amounts to using scissors, but that misses the point. Its just a tool to make the job of shaving quicker and easier.

:rules: The scissors rule is about not grooming long hair to fashion it like barbers do for lay people.

In Burma, they still use open razors, and some monks shave their own heads with them too, but I prefer a standard safety razor.
Bhante, I only remark about the mirror because I know that I would make a right mess of my face if I tried to shave without one!
It is interesting to read about the use of an electric hair-clipper. I remember reading in one of Ven. Thanissaro's books that the Vinaya rule would include such electric devices, so it is interesting to read your interpretation.

Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Personal Grooming
Unless ill — e.g., he has a sore on his head — a bhikkhu may not use scissors to cut his hair or have it cut. The question of using electric razors to shave the head is a controversial one. Because their cutting action — even in rotary shavers — is like that of scissors, many Communities will not allow their use in shaving the head.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Personal Grooming
Unless ill — e.g., he has a sore on his head — a bhikkhu may not use scissors to cut his hair or have it cut. The question of using electric razors to shave the head is a controversial one. Because their cutting action — even in rotary shavers — is like that of scissors, many Communities will not allow their use in shaving the head.
Bhante, yes, that was the one I was thinking of. Thank you.

Coyote
Iti 26
Ben

Post by Ben »

Coyote wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.
Ben wrote:you don't need a razor to shave
What do you mean here? Are you thinking of something specific?
I beg your pardon, I meant 'you don't need a mirror to shave.
If I don't have a mirror, I can shave in the dark by touch with a disposable razor.

I was tired and it was late when I wrote my earlier response - I am sorry for the confusion.
kind regards,
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Ben wrote:I beg your pardon, I meant 'you don't need a mirror to shave.
If I don't have a mirror, I can shave in the dark by touch with a disposable razor.

I was tired and it was late when I wrote my earlier response - I am sorry for the confusion.
kind regards,
Hahaha, that clears some of the confusion up :) For a second there, I thought Ben had figured out a novel new way to shave!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Ben

Post by Ben »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
Ben wrote:I beg your pardon, I meant 'you don't need a mirror to shave.

kind regards,
Hahaha, that clears some of the confusion up :) For a second there, I thought Ben had figured out a novel new way to shave!
If I have an epiphany regarding a razorless-shave I'll definitely share it with you!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Lasers.
plwk

Post by plwk »

I beg your pardon, I meant 'you don't need a mirror to shave.

kind regards,
If I have an epiphany regarding a razorless-shave I'll definitely share it with you!
Wax strips? :mrgreen:
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

the fire method is all over the suttas
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

When I was a monk, we shaved each others heads. It is a lot easier that way. :)

To shave my face I just used a regular razor slowly and methodically. You can use touch to see if you have missed any spots.

Kevin