To buy hardcopy or print e-Dhammabooks

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
jcsuperstar

To buy hardcopy or print e-Dhammabooks

Post by jcsuperstar »

i want that book (ADL) in print so i dont have to pay 30 something bux for it....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mikenz66

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Post by mikenz66 »

jcsuperstar wrote:i want that book (ADL) in print so i dont have to pay 30 something bux for it....
You mean to print it out? I downloaded, printed, and spiral bound it (which isn't free of course, but less than $30 I think).

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

well i meant to buy like at amazon...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, OK, I see Amazon has it at 34, 96 and 151 dollars... :o

I suggest the print-and-bind approach...

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

people who do the free books online thing should do it all at like lulu.com that way if you want to buy a hardcopy you can but you can still read the e-book version for free...
some of us just cant read online..... :coffee:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

jcsuperstar wrote: some of us just cant read online..... :coffee:
Buy a printer... :coffee: :reading: :popcorn:

Mike
Ben

To buy hardcopy books or print e-books

Post by Ben »

Hi Mike
mikenz66 wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:i want that book (ADL) in print so i dont have to pay 30 something bux for it....
You mean to print it out? I downloaded, printed, and spiral bound it (which isn't free of course, but less than $30 I think).

Mike
I paid $AUD50 for the BPS/Pariyatti edition two years ago via Dhamma Books in Australia. Its probably gone down in price since then, due to the vaguaries of the exchange rate, but I didn't think it was too great an impost. I also think its a good idea to support Dhamma booksellers and publishers when possible.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i thought about printing it out till i saw it was like 270 pages or something on that link..or 170? but long...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Ben wrote:Hi Mike
mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
I paid $AUD50 for the BPS/Pariyatti edition two years ago via Dhamma Books in Australia. Its probably gone down in price since then, due to the vaguaries of the exchange rate, but I didn't think it was too great an impost. I also think its a good idea to support Dhamma booksellers and publishers when possible.
kind regards

Ben
i own the bodhi book we're off topic talking about abhidhamma in daily life :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Well, sure. I'd usually rather pay for a bound copy than print it myself anyway, because it comes out much more convenient, and not much (if any) more expensive.

But as JC says, it's out of print, so you can only buy it second-hand right now at an inflated price, none of which will bo back to the Publisher or Author.

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

jcsuperstar wrote:i thought about printing it out till i saw it was like 270 pages or something on that link..or 170? but long...
Yes, about 270, so that's the order of 10-15 dollars to print and bind, which is cheaper than that second-hand copy on Amazon but is not so nice to hold...

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

OK, so we're not talking about the same book...
Maybe I'll move this topic over to the lounge as its getting less and less to do with the Abhidhamma.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ben wrote:OK, so we're not talking about the same book...
Maybe I'll move this topic over to the lounge as its getting less and less to do with the Abhidhamma.
Maybe move the chat and leave the address for the on-line book in the Abhidhamma section...

Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

jcsuperstar wrote:people who do the free books online thing should do it all at like lulu.com that way if you want to buy a hardcopy you can but you can still read the e-book version for free...
some of us just cant read online..... :coffee:
I have that problem and the exploration can be found at lulu, I got a print copy to read through as I can read easier hardcopy, I find the computer somewhat challanging when reading a lot of pages one or two maybe upto 5 is ok but more nana
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kare

Re: To buy hardcopy or print e-Dhammabooks

Post by Kare »

Print one page. Memorize it. :reading:
Throw it away.
Then print the next page ... :rofl:
Mettāya,
Kåre