How do monks shave?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
James the Giant

Re: How do monks shave?

Post by James the Giant »

lojong1 wrote:the fire method is all over the suttas
FIRE METHOD?! :jawdrop:

no, that's got to be a joke, surely.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
plwk

Post by plwk »

the fire method is all over the suttas
This? Image
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Coyote wrote:I am guessing they don't use electric razors, and I seem to remember they are not allowed to use mirrors. So how do they shave (head and face)? And how often? Is it required?

Thanks,
Coyote
The electric razor isn't allowed as it cuts like scisors. but they can use a mirror, just not stare at themselves like Narcissus, so a mirror for practical purposes is allowed but not to be over used.
The vinaya requirement is that the hair not get too long, no more than two finger breadths or every two lunar months, if I remember correctly.

a simple blade razor would be used now but clam shells and other tools were used in different cultures in the past for the purpose.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

lojong1 wrote:the fire method is all over the suttas
where?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Cittasanto wrote: The electric razor isn't allowed as it cuts like scisors. but they can use a mirror, just not stare at themselves like Narcissus, so a mirror for practical purposes is allowed but not to be over used.
Thanissaro's Buddhist Monastic Code says this:

"One should not gaze at the reflection of one's face in a mirror or in a bowl of water. Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing"... "I allow that, on account of a disease, one gaze at the reflection of one's face in a mirror or in a bowl of water." — Cv.V.2.4

Do you know of another explanation that allows for practical use, or is this based on your experience with monks?

Thanks,
Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Coyote wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: The electric razor isn't allowed as it cuts like scisors. but they can use a mirror, just not stare at themselves like Narcissus, so a mirror for practical purposes is allowed but not to be over used.
Thanissaro's Buddhist Monastic Code says this:

"One should not gaze at the reflection of one's face in a mirror or in a bowl of water. Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing"... "I allow that, on account of a disease, one gaze at the reflection of one's face in a mirror or in a bowl of water." — Cv.V.2.4

Do you know of another explanation that allows for practical use, or is this based on your experience with monks?

Thanks,
Coyote
That is the one I had in mind so no no other part I know of allows for practical use just as no other part disallows to my knowledge. Although I will have a look at the surrounding rules which may have something.
Edit - Just looked and nothing jumps out in surrounding passages and a not points to a Bhikkhuni rule that is in-part about being a hair-dresser not being allowed.
but it is also how I have practised it in a setting with Bhikkhus.

John Stuart Mill