Combining A Vacation And A Retreat?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Combining A Vacation And A Retreat?

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 am

I've been thinking of going on a retreat in some places that are quite a trip from my home. Given my limited time and resources for traveling I think I should see something else on a trip than the inside of a meditation hall. In the past, coming off of retreats, I felt calm and then overstimulated being out in the regular world, so I am thinking of doing the site seeing part of a trip before a retreat. Has anyone every tried this? What results did you get?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Re: Combining A Vacation And A Retreat?

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 am

Jhana4 wrote:I've been thinking of going on a retreat in some places that are quite a trip from my home. Given my limited time and resources for traveling I think I should see something else on a trip than the inside of a meditation hall. In the past, coming off of retreats, I felt calm and then overstimulated being out in the regular world, so I am thinking of doing the site seeing part of a trip before a retreat. Has anyone every tried this? What results did you get?

I would strongly suggest you do the sightseeing before the meditation as well - but in the past I have used the period before a retreat to do some light vacationing, and it didn't derail me. Just plan to have at least a morning set aside between the to, as to transfer from tourist to yogi :)
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Combining A Vacation And A Retreat?

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:07 am

Travel, sightseeing, retreat, travel, sightseeing, retreat, travel, sightseeing, retreat over periods of up to 6 to 8 months.

It's a good way to get you out of your comfort zone and change your perspective, especially when doing it in a very different environment like SE asia.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Return to Lounge