Ajahn Brahm Retreats: Anyone Here Been On One?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Jhana4

Ajahn Brahm Retreats: Anyone Here Been On One?

Post by Jhana4 »

I've been getting a lot out of Ajahn Brahsm youtube channels and writings. I'm thinking of trying one of his retreats out. I live on the east coast of the US, so that would be quite a big and expensive trip.

Has anyone here gone on one of Ajahn Brahms retreats? Opinions, observations?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Dan74

Re: Ajahn Brahm Retreats: Anyone Here Been On One?

Post by Dan74 »

Jhana4 wrote:I've been getting a lot out of Ajahn Brahsm youtube channels and writings. I'm thinking of trying one of his retreats out. I live on the east coast of the US, so that would be quite a big and expensive trip.

Has anyone here gone on one of Ajahn Brahms retreats? Opinions, observations?
I haven't but I have heard from one who has and the Dhamma talks he gives during his retreats are very different to his well-known talks, in that they are much more detailed and specific.
_/|\_
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

No, I have never been on one, but I'm going to stay at his monastery for a week, later this month. :happy:

If you want to know what the retreat talks are like, here is a page where you can download many of his recorded retreat talks, at Jhana Grove near Perth.
http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/downloads/ ... reats.html
Best wishes!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Jhana4 wrote:I've been getting a lot out of Ajahn Brahsm youtube channels and writings. I'm thinking of trying one of his retreats out. I live on the east coast of the US, so that would be quite a big and expensive trip.
If you do come to Australia specifically, stay a bit longer after the retreat and be a lay-guest at his monastery down the road. People coming from overseas can stay for one month, if they arrange it in advance.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11