YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Paccekabuddhas in Canon & Commentary - Dhamma Wheel

Paccekabuddhas in Canon & Commentary

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Dhammanando

Paccekabuddhas in Canon & Commentary

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:38 am

Does anyone want to talk about them?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Paccekabuddhas, anyone?

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:48 am

Greetings venerable,

I'd be interested in any references that compare their qualities and attainments to that of a Sammasambuddha.

What differentiates them from fully enlightened Buddhas other than their inability to form their own dispensation?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:13 am

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:20 am

i'm interested!!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am

Thank you Ajahn for offering to translate and transcribe the article.
I am also very interested.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:49 am

I'm interested! why just recolect the qualities of one buddha, or one type of Buddha?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Will

Postby Will » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Absolutely interested. Does he contrast the Mahayana view of same or are they pretty much the same?
A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:26 pm

zamis

Postby zamis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:55 pm

"You're almost at the end of your lease in this burning house and yet you continue latching onto it as your self. It tricks you into feeling fear and love, and when you fall for it, what path will you practice? " Upasika Kee Nanayon

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 am

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:52 am

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 am

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:57 am

BubbaBuddhist

Re: Paccekabuddhas in Canon & Commentary

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Now and then in the Suttas you run across mention of a certain Paccekabuddha. It would be interesting to make a compilation of their exploits.

Bb
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Will

Postby Will » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:43 pm

In verse 41 and some others the word "companions" is used - "In the midst of companions there are sport, enjoyment, and great love for sons ..." It sounds like, in some cases, "family" or "wife" or "marriage" is meant, more than buddies or associates?
A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:41 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:11 am

Excellent idea for a thread. Incidentally, this reminds me of something that I read a while ago in A Buddhist Philosophy of Religion by Bhikkhu Nanajivako, which suggests that there is a possibility this particular poem was modelled after a Jaina one, or vice versa. I no longer have the book (although I did find online), but I know that in the , an important Jaina text detailing the lives of the Jaina founders, it states that Mahavira was "single and alone like the horn of a rhinoceros" (261).
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" ().

(Buddhist-related blog)
(non-Buddhist related blog)

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:49 am

Thank you Ajahn for providing the alternative translations of the sutta. It is beautiful and one which I think many of us feel no small measure of affinity.
Thanks also for pointing out that the Khaggavisāṇa Sutta was in fact the sayings of the Paccekabuddhas. My mistaken impression was that it was the Buddha's advice to the sangha.
Also, I was interested to note that the Isigili Sutta is regarded as a paritta. If you don't mind me asking, in what way does the Isigili Sutta offer protection?
Many thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Dhammakid

Postby Dhammakid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 am

Yes indeed, thank you venerable bhikkhu for providing the wonderful translations of the sutta. This greatly appeals to my introvert tendencies (although sometimes I'm an extrovert as well. Guess you can call me a multivert :D )

I second Ben's request.

Also, a question: If, when there is no Dhamma dispensation in the world, one becomes a paccekabuddha, will others in the world know about this monumental event? Or are solitary buddhas destined to anonymity until a future sammasambuddha comes along and recognizes them?

What practice leads one to paccekabuddha-hood if you don't have the Dhamma to guide you? Just meditation? Do the suttas say anything about this?

Namaste,
Dhammakid
- Facebook Group

Email: [email protected].

Return to “Classical Theravāda”