Help with Majjhima Nikaya Reference?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mettajhana

Help with Majjhima Nikaya Reference?

Post by Mettajhana »

Hi everyone. I am reading Analayo's Satipatthana, The Direct Path to Realisation and also have a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya (Bhikkhu Bodi, Wisdom).

For the life of me I cannot fathom how to map the notations in Satipatthana to the MN. Here's an example: M I 435 or M III 16.

Is he referring to a different translation to the one I have?

Many thanks,
daverupa

Re: Help with Majjhima Nikaya Reference?

Post by daverupa »

It's simply a different citation style; check the page headers in your translation, and you will see "i 47" and such. So, ignore the M, and look for "i 35" or "iii 16", to use your examples.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Mettajhana,

Here's an explanation of numbering:

http://web.archive.org/web/201202242221 ... /bs12.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
Mettajhana

Post by Mettajhana »

That's marvellous. Thanks guys. I have really poor eyesight and that numbering is near the binding on each page so i'd completely missed it!

thanks again :)
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you Dmytro! That is a very complicated system that I finaly understand (I think); and outdated.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta