Preparatory stretches for Lotus / sitting

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
manas

Preparatory stretches for Lotus / sitting

Post by manas »

Hi everyone

I find this video to be very thorough and informative. Even if you only use half-lotus, I think these simple stretches could help. The instructor even warns viewers not to push too far, unlike some other yoga videos I've seen:

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Preparatory stretches for Lotus / sitting

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

That was really helpful, I'll definitely put that into my routine. Thanks for the post!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Thanks for the video!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Thanks! I've been trying to sit half-lotus, so this should help with my legs not falling asleep.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thanks! :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
manas

Post by manas »

Even with these exercises, due to the nature of my knees in this current birth, I ought not to do full lotus, but must content myself with half lotus. What I hope to get from them is the ability to sit in half lotus twice a day rather than just once. In the morning, there's no pain or problems in sitting, over an hour even. But if I try to do it again that evening, my right knee lets me know immediately that I ought to rest it from that posture.

I'm glad others are also finding this video helpful.

_/I\_
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks.
Great video. :meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
convivium

Post by convivium »

it would take about a decade of twice daily stretching (two minutes each pose without forcing) for me to get into full lotus. i've been at it for about three months.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

convivium wrote:it would take about a decade of twice daily stretching (two minutes each pose without forcing) for me to get into full lotus. i've been at it for about three months.
A decade! That's good, I've got about 50 years of life left I reckon, so ten years from now I'll be able to do full lotus for the final 40. :twothumbsup:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Here's another set of prep exercises for lotus. Helps if you have some yoga background!
These really work if you do them once or twice a day.

convivium

Post by convivium »

i'm realizing the reason mostly asians, girls and hippies can do this is because they don't have muscle. :juggling:
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

convivium wrote:i'm realizing the reason mostly asians, girls and hippies can do this is because they don't have muscle. :juggling:
Asians, girls and hippies don't have muscle?? :shrug:
convivium

Post by convivium »

most people who don't have muscle are one of those :stirthepot:
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

From personal experience, the wide angle forward bend is the be-all-end-all for padmasana.

:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

^loved the video, thanks Benjamin.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26