What does Buddhadasa say about emptiness?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Individual

What does Buddhadasa say about emptiness?

Post by Individual »

I am curious. For those familiar with Buddhadasa, what has he written, if anything, about emptiness?

I am particularly interested if he critiques Mahayana and Theravada views. Does he uphold the Five Aggregates as "paramatha" and defend the notion of "svabhava," as traditional monastics do?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
jcsuperstar

Re: What does Buddhadasa say about emptiness?

Post by jcsuperstar »

Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree is all about this

http://www.amazon.com/Heartwood-Bodhi-T ... 256&sr=8-1

"In this remarkable book, Ajahn Buddhadasa teaches us beautifully, profoundly, and simply the meaning of sunnata, or voidness, which is a thread that links every great school of Buddhism....He teaches us the truth of this voidness with the same directness and simplicity with which he invites us into his forest." — from the foreword by Jack Kornfield
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Individual

Post by Individual »

Thanks. I found this as well:
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Empt ... sa_Bhikkhu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Diamond Sutra
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, that's from the book. As it says in the introductory materail to the book, voidness was his particular "thing" and he was discouraged from teaching it to lay people. The book is certainly worth reading.

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote: Does he uphold the Five Aggregates as "paramatha" and defend the notion of "svabhava," as traditional monastics do?
Svabhava?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
Individual wrote: Does he uphold the Five Aggregates as "paramatha" and defend the notion of "svabhava," as traditional monastics do?
Svabhava?
Sorry if I was confusing. It seems that svabhava is the Sanskrit spelling. The Pali term is "sabhava".

sabhava\svabhava: intrinsic-nature, own-being, etc..

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Svabhava?
Sorry if I was confusing. It seems that svabhava is the Sanskrit spelling. The Pali term is "sabhava".

sabhava\svabhava: intrinsic-nature, own-being, etc..
I am well aware of that. Point is that you cannot correctly assume that that words is used the same way across schools.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote: I am well aware of that. Point is that you cannot correctly assume that that words is used the same way across schools.
What makes you certain I merely assumed the usage was the same?

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: I am well aware of that. Point is that you cannot correctly assume that that words is used the same way across schools.
What makes you certain I merely assumed the usage was the same?
You threw the word out there without qualification, and now here is your opportunity to clarify your very unclear statement.

Individual

Post by Individual »

You can't fix a broken mirror by polishing it.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

From Buddhadasa's essay...
Firstly, consider the point that the Buddha declared that every word that he, the Tathagata, (one who is gone to Suchness), spoke referred to the subject of emptiness. He spoke of no other matter, either directly or indirectly. Any talk unconnected with the subject of emptiness is not the speech of the Tathagata but of disciples of a later time who liked to speak at great length to show how clever and articulate they were.
all things = dhamma
all things = emptiness
dhammas = emptiness
The word "mind" (citta) is being used here in a specific way. Don't confuse it with the 89 cittas or 121 cittas of the Abhidhamma. They are a different matter. That which we call original mind, the mind that is one with panna refers to the mind that is empty of grasping at and clinging to self. Actually, this state shouldn't be called mind at all, it should be called emptiness, but since it has the property of knowing we call it mind. The various schools call it by various names but strictly speaking it's enough to say that the true fundamental nature of mind is satipanna, truth-discerning awareness, absence of grasping and clinging. Thus emptiness lies in perfect panna.
Buddhadasa is very interesting!

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:You can't fix a broken mirror by polishing it.
He said obliquely.

Present

Post by Present »

Individual wrote:From Buddhadasa's essay...
Firstly, consider the point that the Buddha declared that every word that he, the Tathagata, (one who is gone to Suchness), spoke referred to the subject of emptiness. He spoke of no other matter, either directly or indirectly. Any talk unconnected with the subject of emptiness is not the speech of the Tathagata but of disciples of a later time who liked to speak at great length to show how clever and articulate they were.
all things = dhamma
all things = emptiness
dhammas = emptiness
The word "mind" (citta) is being used here in a specific way. Don't confuse it with the 89 cittas or 121 cittas of the Abhidhamma. They are a different matter. That which we call original mind, the mind that is one with panna refers to the mind that is empty of grasping at and clinging to self. Actually, this state shouldn't be called mind at all, it should be called emptiness, but since it has the property of knowing we call it mind. The various schools call it by various names but strictly speaking it's enough to say that the true fundamental nature of mind is satipanna, truth-discerning awareness, absence of grasping and clinging. Thus emptiness lies in perfect panna.
Buddhadasa is very interesting!
Individual

I was so inspired by your post. This is the way to stream-entry (that is, if your mind did not already attain stream entry when writing your post).

:anjali:
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I enjoyed excerpts from the essay too.

:anjali: