http://ajahnbrahmforsale.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SamKR

Re: Ajahn Brahm for sale?

Post by SamKR »

:shock:
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Conservative types are usually more dogmatic. To me Buddhism is a liberal religion and should be open to many interpretations, even within one specific tradition. Ajahn Brahm often goes against the grain, and personally I think that's why loads of people love him, because he is unorthodox.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

',=-/
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
plwk

Post by plwk »

:jumping:
alan

Post by alan »

Maybe we'll get lucky and get to hear a long, pointless, rambling joke!
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Well I wouldn't see myself as conservative but I don't see it as funny or appropriate but there you go.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think the Buddha would disapprove.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Didn't the Buddha have a sense of humor PolarBuddha?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

deleted
Last edited by Polar Bear on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

I doubt it's "Prostituting his time" when it comes to a good cause. Ajahn Brahm strives for equality and will take whatever measures necessary. If that would have pissed off the Buddha, I don't think he'd mind. The Budha didn't even want to teach women and had to be convinced by Ananda to do so. There's still a heirachy in Thai Buddhism now, men are seen as superior but People like Ajahn brahm want to change this.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Is there any evidence that its not just a spoof or a scam?

Buddhists should be trying to conserve the Buddha's genuine teachings, so “conservative” or “orthodox” are not dirty words in the Buddha's teaching.

The Venerable Mahākassapa convened the First Buddhist Council to conserve the Dhamma/Vinaya for future generations after the Buddha's demise.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
marc108

Post by marc108 »

lol I think its funny. Ajahn Brahm is great and what he's doing for the Bhikkhuni's is great as well. Of course other people are going to try to project their perceptions of what they think a Bhikkhu should or should not be doing... but really, who are we to tell Ajahn Brahm anything lol.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

I couldn't agree more Marc
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

it is extremely inappropriate for a mendicant to do such a thing. they are not commodities for sale. People should give not because they get something, but because they find wherever it is inspiring.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill