5 Aggregates

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
K.Dhamma

5 Aggregates

Post by K.Dhamma »

So does the dissolution of the 5 aggregates mean the dissolution of "self"? Also, is there any situation in which it is ok for those who have attained higher enlightenment to disclose experiences to others? I guess I feel like I would not be sharing it out of conceit or anything, but because I enjoy sharing my experiences with those I love. I guess I see it as almost a conversation piece vs putting myself on a pedestal. I am relatively new to all this so please be patient with me.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Re: 5 Aggregates

Post by K.Dhamma »

I guess also I had an experience on the cushion that I want to post on here. I am apprehensive because I do not want to offend anyone. However I want to understand if my experience is typical during deep meditation.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Its probably best to discuss with your teacher, if you have one.
If you don't have one, someone who is very experienced in the particular meditative approach you are using.
Keep in mind that all experiences, regardless how rarified, are impersonal transient phenomena.
Attachment to them is like grasping at mist.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

K.Dhamma wrote:So does the dissolution of the 5 aggregates mean the dissolution of "self"?
Whether you are talking about death or some experience during mental development, either way, dissolution of the 5 aggregates is pretty much just the dissolution of the 5 aggregates. If there is any "self" left to dissolve at that point, just keep working at it with patience.
K.Dhamma wrote:Also, is there any situation in which it is ok for those who have attained higher enlightenment to disclose experiences to others?
There may be, but whatever happens, stick with the facts. Be careful with this "higher enlightenment" stuff. Think: this is what I did, this is what happened next, and now I feel this way with this thought. No assumptions. Although conversations about dhamma are the best to be had, even they can get in the way.