Nirvana...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

Nirvana...

Post by retrofuturist »

...tops Triple J's Hottest 100 of All Time
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/st ... 84,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's official. The 1990s were the golden age of music, and Smells Like Teen Spirit is the best song of all time.

Or so say voters of Triple J's Hottest 100 of All Time, who voted Nirvana’s grunge anthem #1, and rounded out the rest of the list with plenty of 1990s classics.

Smells Like Teen Spirit joined two more songs from Nirvana's 1992 groundbreaking album Nevermind, with Come As You Are at #40 and Lithium at #74.

Ex-Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl’s Foo Fighters also cracked the top ten with Everlong.

"After all these years that scream hasn't diminished one bit," said Triple J's Richard Kingsmill of Kurt Cobain's searing voice after broadcasing the winner. Nirvana were out ahead for much of the vote, Kingsmill said.

The Hottest 100 of All Time, which asked listeners of the national youth broadcaster to nominate their all-time favourites, was also heavy on 1990s songs by innovative British rockers Radiohead and drowned troubadour Jeff Buckley.

Radiohead and Jeff Buckley each had four songs on the list - Radiohead with Creep at #13, Karma Police at # 15, Fake Plastic Trees at #28, and the epic Paranoid Android at #5, and Jeff Buckley with Hallelujah at #3, Last Goodbye at #7, and Lover, You Should Have Come Over at #56 and Grace at #69.

Earlier broadcasts of the lower-ranking songs on the list this week were criticised for being too light on classics from the 1960s, but a few 'oldies but goodies' did crack the top 100.

Rockers AC/DC were #91 with Back in Black, Led Zeppelin's Kashmir was #98 and Stairway to Heaven at #10 and Bob Marley's No Woman, No Cry at #84.

Pink Floyd, the Clash, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Bob Dylan also made the list.

The late pop superstar Michael Jackson had two songs on the list, with Billie Jean at #41 and Thriller at #26

Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart, which was the #1 song in the first Hottest 100 of All Time in 1989, came in #4 this time.

The video clips of the Hottest 100 will be played on rage on ABC1 on August 8.

Top Ten Hottest 100 of All Time as voted by Triple J listeners:

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
2. Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine
3. Hallelujah, by Jeff Buckley
4. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
5. Paranoid Android by Radiohead
6. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
7. Last Goodbye by Jeff Buckley
8. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
9. Everlong by Foo Fighters
10. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Full list @ http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest10 ... /cd_01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Re: Nirvana...

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro, all,

I was driving home from a day of sutta study and meditation last night and turned the radio on just in time to hear the first note of Hallelujah, by Jeff Buckley.

Had prickly shivers all over and tears in my eyes. Now ... why do I rarely get that from meditation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

My friend at work is a huge Leonard Cohen fan. When he saw that Jeff Buckley's version of this song came in at #3, he had to put on the Leonard Cohen original on his MP3 player the cleanse the thought from his mind!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

(((Groan))))
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Perry

Post by Perry »

I've never understood why most music fans seem to have an obsession with ranking everything in lists, they must have ONE best song, ONE favourite band, ONE greatest album. Maybe I'm generalising a little but I wish a lot of these people would wake up and realise you don't have to limit yourself like that! If you like something, great, if not, oh well.

I used to be like this myself. I have been a huge fan of Queen even from childhood but in recent years have become quite the fan of The Beatles too, and I spent many a night wondering who I preferred. Now, I don't care, I love both bands, and that's that.

On another note, I've never been a fan of Nirvana, but the 1960s British band of the same name was even worse.
Individual

Post by Individual »

The list seems pretty terrible and I don't take it seriously, since it was simply generated by voters. Systems of voting like this have demonstrated what could be called the "Stephen Colbert effect". Mobs of fanboys surrounding a specific subject will skew the results through working together.

Of the top 10 list, the only song that belongs on there is Stairway to Heaven. Most of the rest are good, but not good enough to be where they are.

Lists like this are subject to so much speculation and personal preference. For a fairer comparison, I think it's best to look at Billboard's charts, from year to year, both their hot 100 and their ranks for specific genres.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

pmwhewitt wrote:I've never understood why most music fans seem to have an obsession with ranking everything in lists, they must have ONE best song, ONE favourite band, ONE greatest album. Maybe I'm generalising a little but I wish a lot of these people would wake up and realise you don't have to limit yourself like that! If you like something, great, if not, oh well.

I used to be like this myself. I have been a huge fan of Queen even from childhood but in recent years have become quite the fan of The Beatles too, and I spent many a night wondering who I preferred. Now, I don't care, I love both bands, and that's that.

On another note, I've never been a fan of Nirvana, but the 1960s British band of the same name was even worse.
I'm not really too concerned with bands or songs either. I like music, but I'm the type of person who likes to listen to the radio or a podcast, and don't really bother too much about downloading individual songs or buying CDs or following artists. The reason is because I like the experience of continually hearing new music. Music sounds best when it's first heard and when it's heard repetitively, the effect diminishes. Also, the important thing with music is the genre: I listen to genres of music to generate the type of psychological mood I desire, not specific songs for aesthetic pleasure.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,
Individual wrote:Of the top 10 list, the only song that belongs on there is Stairway to Heaven. Most of the rest are good, but not good enough to be where they are.
A thoroughly blasphemous thing to say when Joy Division are at #4!

Metta,
Guy

Post by Guy »

I used to play covers of RHCP, RATM, Nirvana when I was younger and stupider than I am now - so naturally I no longer like this kind of music.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Guy wrote:RHCP, RATM, Nirvana when I was younger....
That was actually a pretty interesting time in music. Generally speaking "rock music" during the 80's was over-produced and bloated (much like the pop music of the time), and it was interesting to see what rock musicians came up with as a reaction to that.

Admittedly Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against The Machine never did much for me, but I quite like Nirvana.

Metta,
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Individual,
Individual wrote:Of the top 10 list, the only song that belongs on there is Stairway to Heaven. Most of the rest are good, but not good enough to be where they are.
A thoroughly blasphemous thing to say when Joy Division are at #4!

Metta,
I don't like that song, actually. I don't even like Fallout Boy's cover of it. And I could do a much better version of it myself, if I had a band and a music studio.
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Guy wrote:RHCP, RATM, Nirvana when I was younger....
That was actually a pretty interesting time in music. Generally speaking "rock music" during the 80's was over-produced and bloated (much like the pop music of the time), and it was interesting to see what rock musicians came up with as a reaction to that.

Admittedly Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against The Machine never did much for me, but I quite like Nirvana.
Interestingly, though, artistically Nirvana is terribly lacking in substance. Their songs are all simplistic power chords, with repetitive melodies, Kurt Cobain's vocals are mediocre, their lyrics are patent nonsense (which, contrary to speculation, have no hidden meaning) and their guitar solos are poor to non-existent (although Dave Grohl is a great drummer soloist). A guitarist of decent skill can learn the main guitar part of any Nirvana song in under five minutes, by ear.

What made Nirvana popular was their "grunge" image, not really their music.

Although Nirvana is a decent band, I would honestly say that I think Pearl Jam is better than Nirvana. Dave Grohl's band, the Foo Fighters, has also done a lot more diverse and creative work than what Nirvana did.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,
Individual wrote:And I could do a much better version of it myself, if I had a band and a music studio.
That truly is blasphemous :o
Individual wrote:What made Nirvana popular was their "grunge" image, not really their music.
For some people I'm sure that's the case, but I can speak from experience that it wasn't for me. I always found the picture of Kurt Cobain falling over the drumkit on the CD booklet of Bleach a little embarrassing.
Individual wrote:Although Nirvana is a decent band, I would honestly say that I think Pearl Jam is better than Nirvana.
Not in a million years. :tongue:
Individual wrote:Dave Grohl's band, the Foo Fighters, has also done a lot more diverse and creative work than what Nirvana did.
Maybe, though they have been around now for 14 or so years, whereas Nirvana only had 5 or 6... so it's hard to speculate. In Utero was a marked departure from Nevermind, and the MTV Unplugged sessions marked a possible new direction again.

Metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris
Chris wrote:Hello Retro, all,

I was driving home from a day of sutta study and meditation last night and turned the radio on just in time to hear the first note of Hallelujah, by Jeff Buckley.

Had prickly shivers all over and tears in my eyes. Now ... why do I rarely get that from meditation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
What's that old saying? Great minds think alike? (Don't choke!)
I spent the day in meditation at a one-day vipassana course.
I prefer the original 'Hallelujah' sung by Leonard Cohen:

I'm currently bingeing on a Moody Blues retrospective.
You better get into your kaftan, grab your john lennon glasses and don a daisy chain for this one.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

An interesting observation here...

http://livenews.com.au/entertainment/al ... /13/212768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems it is still a man's world.

Well, at least when it comes to the most popular songs of all time, with not one female artist making it into Triple J's Hottest 100 of all time countdown on the weekend.
The closest you get is Massive Attack who have a female vocalist.

Metta,
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

I may have looked too quickly, but I didn't see any women artist on the entire list. What's up with that?

My favorite on the list is Blue Monday by New Order. I see this list comes from Austrialia. I have a feeling an American top 100 would be different. Like for instance Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division. It's a great song but I would say a good majority of Americans have never even heard it before. It was not a hit. It didn't even make the charts. I bet Nirvana would also be voted #1 in the US. I like Nirvana which is odd for me. I usually dig synth-pop, but Nirvana is great. I can't say the same for groups like Pearl Jam and Creed. They are awful, and highly over rated.