Is it possible for practising Buddhists to have fun?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
convivium

Re: Is it possible for practising Buddhists to have fun?

Postby convivium » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 pm

depends which monastery or retreat you go to.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 pm

_/|\_

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:04 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 am

Greetings,

:redherring: = "Red herring is an English-language idiom that commonly refers to a logical fallacy that misleads or detracts from the actual issue. It is also a literary device employed by writers that leads readers or characters towards a false conclusion, often used in mystery or detective fiction." (Wikipedia)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:11 am

Greetings,

Yes I am.

A false premise is being established that those who aren't interested in brothelizing the Dhamma (and Vinaya) are somehow dour-faced puritans, incapable of "fun" (i.e. false conclusion)... and this is distracting from the question of whether it is possible for practising Buddhists to have fun, because it is inferring logical arguments that have unsound and unjustified assumptions.... thus obfuscating genuine attempts to address the question (i.e. detracts from the actual issue).

:geek:

Metta,
Retro. :)

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:49 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 am

My intent was just to have fun, possibly of the silly kind (I was never too good as discerning the demarcation line). Even my kids sometimes tell me to stop being silly, so, I guess I am...

As for "brothelizing" (great word!), I think implying that people who disagree with you are "brothelizing the Dhamma", is possible less than charitable. After all we are Dhamma brothers, aren't we, or perhaps Brothelizing Brothers, or Bothersome Brothelizing Brothers? Just call us, BBB, for short!
_/|\_

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:54 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:03 am

_/|\_

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 am

To answer the OP.

Yes.

Its possible for any well adjusted Human who is a practicing Buddhist or otherwise to have fun.

In addition...

Obviously fun has many forms which may be more or less wholesome. I would think that a practicing Buddhist would be engaging in a process of sifting through them by way of the four right efforts. Firstly by avoiding the ones that infringe on whatever precepts they are practicing. Then by common sense discernment. Then by further attention to what kind of mind results. We cant learn without watching ourselves blunder tumble get up blunder and tumble again. Some of this will be fun and some will not. A sense of humor is required in my opinion.

With Metta

Prasadachitta
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”