Bahiya sutta commentary

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

bodom

Bahiya sutta commentary

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:10 pm

I was wondering if there is an available commentary to the Bahiya sutta. Im sure Buddhagosa has covered this sutta but i was wondering where it could be found if it was?

:namaste:
This is our foundation: to have sati, recollection, and sampajañña, self-awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, or reclining. Whatever arises, just leave it be, don't cling to it. Be it like or dislike, happiness or suffering, doubt or certainty... Don't try to label everything, just know it. See that all the things that arise in the mind are simply sensations. They are transient. They arise, exist and cease. That's all there is to them, they have no self or being, they are neither ''us'' nor ''them.'' They are not worthy of clinging to, any of them. - Ajahn Chah

Dhammanando

Re: Bahiya sutta commentary

Postby Dhammanando » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi Bodom,

bodom_bad_boy wrote:I was wondering if there is an available commentary to the Bahiya sutta. Im sure Buddhagosa has covered this sutta but i was wondering where it could be found if it was?

The main sources are Buddhaghosa's commentary to verse 101 of the Dhammapada, and Dhammapāla's commentary to the Bāhiya Sutta. The former is in Burlingame's Buddhist Legends (and various online sources); the latter is in Peter Masefield's PTS translation of the Udāna Atthakathā.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

First hermit: Still there’s one thing about being a hermit, at least you get to meet people.

Second hermit: Oh yes! I wouldn’t go back to public relations.
— Monty Python, The Hermits

(I shall be offline from 27th June until November)

bodom

Re: Bahiya sutta commentary

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Bodom,

bodom_bad_boy wrote:I was wondering if there is an available commentary to the Bahiya sutta. Im sure Buddhagosa has covered this sutta but i was wondering where it could be found if it was?

The main sources are Buddhaghosa's commentary to verse 101 of the Dhammapada, and Dhammapāla's commentary to the Bāhiya Sutta. The former is in Burlingame's Buddhist Legends (and various online sources); the latter is in Peter Masefield's PTS translation of the Udāna Atthakathā.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Excellent! Thank you Bhante! :bow: :bow: :bow:

:namaste:
This is our foundation: to have sati, recollection, and sampajañña, self-awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, or reclining. Whatever arises, just leave it be, don't cling to it. Be it like or dislike, happiness or suffering, doubt or certainty... Don't try to label everything, just know it. See that all the things that arise in the mind are simply sensations. They are transient. They arise, exist and cease. That's all there is to them, they have no self or being, they are neither ''us'' nor ''them.'' They are not worthy of clinging to, any of them. - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Classical Theravāda”