How do the masses understanding their feelings & emotions?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
convivium

Re: How do the masses understanding their feelings & emotion

Post by convivium »

yeah we're better than the masses. :woohoo:
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
alan...

Post by alan... »

oh totally. not only that, most people blame their actions on their emotions! "sorry i yelled and threw a rock at your car, i was angry." ooookay... so you're like the hulk and have no control over yourself when angry or what?

or just blind emotion "i'm so angry about blah." and there's no end to it in sight. logically one may be angry and seek a solution, but people who do not see emotions for what they are think just being angry is a stand alone state. i try to see the anger as the evolutionary tool it is: an emotion put forth to urge me to find a solution to a problem. since i'm buddhist it's usually "let it go and move on." and sometimes i actually have to take action like deciding not to spend time at a certain store where i always wait in absurdly long lines and is over priced anyway or something like that.

one interesting thing is emotion in and out of the work place. most people will snap and yell and carry on outside of work, but give them the exact same problem at work and they're perfectly composed and deal with the problem in utter calmness. so it's clear that the expression of anger/sadness/whatever outside of work is a choice, not a necessity.

also a lot of people do things because of an emotion while blinding themselves to the possible results. like a woman or man is so angry at her cheating boyfriend that s/he breaks his car windows. in the moment he feels it's the right thing to do to fulfill the angry urge. he becomes the anger. "i'm so angry i can't even think straight" so he just acts. then later if he gets in trouble he thinks "why the heck didn't i stop and think about that?" this kind of activity comes from a habitual thinking that is the exact opposite of mindfulness training. ironically people like this frequently live very much in the moment which is akin to mindfulness, just lacking the sampajanna!!!

not to say i'm perfect in the field of emotions but i see them VERY differently than others i know who care nothing for the dhamma or even simply philosophy or the study of the psyche.
Last edited by alan... on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
convivium

Post by convivium »

beings are numberless i vow to save them
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/mun/ballad.html
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

convivium wrote:
beings are numberless i vow to save them
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/mun/ballad.html
Might take a while :tongue:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
convivium

Post by convivium »

first save yourself. without the subject and object dichotomy as a basic feature of consciousness, one's sense of being separate from others becomes quite different...
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Re OP title: I think that most have tools that allow enough understanging to function within their society. A certain leval of understanding seems to develop with time (wisdom). There are also cultural tools like religion oh and love.