Panna, sila, samadhi

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Panna, sila, samadhi

Postby Buckwheat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 pm

When talking about the Noble Eightfold Path, it is very common to group the 8 points under three headings, 1) panna, 2) sila, 3) samadhi. Did the Buddha use that format, or is that a later addition?
Disciples, this I declare to you: All conditioned things are subject to disintegration – strive on untiringly for your liberation.

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Re: Panna, sila, samadhi

Postby polarbuddha101 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 pm

The classification you're referring to is found in at least a few suttas. I think the Buddha used the three categories to refer to the gradual training more so than to the eightfold path though.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"And are the three aggregates [of virtue, concentration, & discernment] included under the noble eightfold path, lady, or is the noble eightfold path included under the three aggregates?"

"The three aggregates are not included under the noble eightfold path, friend Visakha, but the noble eightfold path is included under the three aggregates. Right speech, right action, & right livelihood come under the aggregate of virtue. Right effort, right mindfulness, & right concentration come under the aggregate of concentration. Right view & right resolve come under the aggregate of discernment."
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby Buckwheat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 pm

Thank you, Polarbuddha101 :anjali:
Disciples, this I declare to you: All conditioned things are subject to disintegration – strive on untiringly for your liberation.

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm

According to: dhammawiki, the threefold training is referred to as:
1. adhipaññā-sikkhā
2. adhisīla-sikkhā
3. adhicitta-sikkhā
On the thrid training, the root word is citta, not samadhi.

Buckwheat

Return to General Theravāda discussion