YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

global warming - Page 9 - Dhamma Wheel

global warming

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Buckwheat

Re: global warming

Postby Buckwheat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

knighter

Postby knighter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Hello there

Well if you look through the history of this planet, its never had a steady climate, its the nature of nature.
Its just the internet is new and humans have never been so connected so news be it true or false travels fast.
I would say the planets climate has always fluctuate its just we've never spoke about it, we've just adapted.
Its best, i think to move on from this subject do as much as you can to look after nature and be happy.
There are lots of people wanting other people to belive in there own illusion, very funny business.
Anyway
Be happy
knighter

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Someone claimed a while ago (poto, I think, but I'm not sure) that the best mitigation strategy was to do nothing until technology improved. I disagreed at the time and referred them to the 700-page Stern report among others, but I have just come across a much more concise statement with links to all sorts of further information:

Enjoy!

:namaste:
Kim

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 am

I'd like to jump in here, perhaps 'a bit late in the day' and make the comment that there is such widespread scientific consensus that human endevours have caused some form of climate change, I honestly do not believe that such a vast swathe of the world's scientists could be wrong. It's possible of course, but very unlikely.

Who is to say whether it's as bad as they say it is, or whether nature will not right it herself at some point. I'm no expert, but I think these debates by armchair scientists are foolish. So many well respected scientists have staked their reputations on the fact that human's have caused some form of climate change.

"There is no scientific body of national or international standing rejected the findings of human induced climate change" -
"n an October 2011 paper published in the International Journal of Public Opinion Research, researchers from George Mason University analyzed the results of a survey of 489 scientists working in academia, government, and industry. The scientists polled were members of the American Geophysical Union or the American Meteorological Society and listed in the 23rd edition of American Men and Women of Science, a biographical reference work on leading American scientists. Of those surveyed, 97% agreed that that global temperatures have risen over the past century. Moreover, 84% agreed that "human-induced greenhouse warming" is now occurring. Only 5% disagreed with the idea that human activity is a significant cause of global warming." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific ... Dissenting

Not being an expert, and not being willing to sift through pages and pages of arguments here, I wonder if a dissenter could fill me in on the basic arguments of dissent here and explain to me why they think it is that such a vast majority of scientists have got it wrong, where they went wrong in doing so, and why it is that they continue to hold their positions in the face of evidence that (according to you) is enough to prove that human's are not the cause of climate change.

I guess to cut a long story short - I feel that if the dissenters arguments had any merit, scientists of good repute and standing would be swarming to get in behind. After all, if it did turn out that we human's weren't the cause of climate change - It would be highly beneficial to us. We wouldn't have to worry about our carbon emissions at all. It would be business as usual and happy times all round.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:04 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:08 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:02 am

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:25 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 am

You're on absolutely the right track, Buckwheat.
Reliable sites start with RealClimate, Skeptical Science, Climate Progress (all blogs or private sites, but fully referenced and not aligned with fossil fuel interests), NOAA and CSIRO (the Aussie equivalent) (government science bodies), and Wikipedia which is about 97% accurate and, again, is fully referenced.
Outwards links from any of them will generally be to equally reputable sites or be clearly flagged as dubious.

:reading:
Kim

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 am

Nyorai

Postby Nyorai » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 am

There are still 9000 years before dharma ending age so there is no end of world. Thereafter, more severe tragic of human and nature happenings and it will reform itself when people getting lesser are tire of hurting one another, beginning to realize graciousness amongst living beings. They also started to care for one another, charitable and living in metta. And gradually the tragic of both nature and human will be getting lesser and vanished. And for global cooling, more people adopt vegetarianism means metta to animals and to nature due to more crop farming and fertile land, healthier earth, healthier you. :thumbsup:
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image

knighter

Postby knighter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 am

knighter

Postby knighter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:30 am

This is for you to kim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzRvCAGXsQ

have a look it very enlightening.
Be happy
knighter

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:51 am

These particular video seams relevant to the current train of thought

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:38 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 am

_/|\_

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 am

Return to “Lounge”