Finding The Visuddhimagga XVII.28 translated into sanskrit.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Emmet

Finding The Visuddhimagga XVII.28 translated into sanskrit.

Post by Emmet »

I am looking for a translation of a passage in The Visuddhimagga it is in the section XIII.28. So far I can have only found it in roman lettering. The part of the passage I want reads "The mental and material are really here. But there is no humanity to be found. For it is void and merely fashioned like a doll. Just suffering piled up from grass and sticks."

It would be extremely valuable to me personally to have the translation, which I am finding very hard to find. And I would also be extremely grateful to anyone who could point me in the right direction in terms of finding it.

mikenz66

Re: Finding The Visuddhimagga XVII.28 translated into sanskrit.

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Emmet,

I don't understand the question.

The Visuddhimagga was composed in Pali (not Sanskrit). Do you mean that you can find the Pali for that passage, but using Roman letters, and you want it written in some Indian script instead? I'm not sure if it is known what script it was originally written down in...

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

You must mean Devanagari script for a tatoo or such?

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/devanagari.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Emmet,

I don't understand the question.

The Visuddhimagga was composed in Pali (not Sanskrit). Do you mean that you can find the Pali for that passage, but using Roman letters, and you want it written in some Indian script instead? I'm not sure if it is known what script it was originally written down in...

Mike
Hi Mike
I think it might be an ancient precursor of sinhalese script. My understanding is that early Buddhist manuscripts are extremely rare and the earliest extent copy may have already been transribed into a different script from its original.
Perhaps some of our Pali scholars can comment.
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Yes sorry, I probably mean in Devangari script. Just any script it was in before being translated into Roman lettering or outright English.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Emmet wrote:Yes sorry, I probably mean in Devangari script. Just any script it was in before being translated into Roman lettering or outright English.
The Roman lettering isn't a "translation" any more than pinyin is a "translation" of Chinese.
"Transliteration" might be the word you need...

If you go to this page, on the Site that TiltBillings mentioned:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/pali.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you'll see a one-to-one correspondence between the Devanāgarī alphabet used for Pāli and the Roman alphabet used for Pāli (in some cases there are clusters of two Roman letters and/or diacritical marks).

Mike
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Ok then. I stand corrected. I will be extra careful to use the term "transliteration" in the future.
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi Emmet,

Here it is.
  • Roman:
    ‘‘Nāmañca rūpañca idhatthi saccato,
    Na hettha satto manujo ca vijjati;
    Suññaṃ idaṃ yantamivābhisaṅkhataṃ,
    Dukkhassa puñjo tiṇakaṭṭhasādiso’’ti.

Devanagari:
    ‘‘नामञ्‍च रूपञ्‍च इधत्थि सच्‍चतो,
    न हेत्थ सत्तो मनुजो च विज्‍जति।
    सुञ्‍ञं इदं यन्तमिवाभिसङ्खतं,
    दुक्खस्स पुञ्‍जो तिणकट्ठसादिसो’’ति॥
Last edited by piotr on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Making it a bit larger:

‘‘नामञ्‍च रूपञ्‍च इधत्थि सच्‍चतो,
न हेत्थ सत्तो मनुजो च विज्‍जति।
सुञ्‍ञं इदं यन्तमिवाभिसङ्खतं,
दुक्खस्स पुञ्‍जो तिणकट्ठसादिसो’’ति॥

Just a note: the quotation marks are not really part of the Devanagari script.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

You're a legend!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Smooches to piotr.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,

No problem! :thumbsup: Actually it wasn't hard to find since http://www.tipitaka.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; provides canonical and paracanonical texts in many scripts.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...