[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

Postby danieLion » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:35 pm

In his note to his translation of Itivuttaka 1.24 and commenting on the "mountain ring" that surrounds Vulture's Peak, Thanissaro says,

Magadha was a kingdom in the time of the Buddha, corresponding roughly to the present day state of Bihar. Its capital city, Rajagaha, was surrounded by a ring of five mountains. Vulture's Peak, a secluded rock outcrop in the middle of the ring, was a spot frequented by the Buddha.

I can't find any maps online that show "a ring of five mountains" with "Vulture's Peak...in the middle of the ring."

Anyone know where I can find one?

Much obliged.
danieLion

Re: Vulture's Peak & Surrounding Environment/Iti. 1.24

Postby drifting cloud » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:31 am

You could try looking up "Vulture Peak" on Wikipedia:

Griddhraj Parvat

And then noting that there is also a "Vulture Peak" in the modern state of Bihar, near the city of Rajgir (formerly the capital of Magadha). Punch in the coordinates 25.0019812°N 85.4467034°E from Wiki Atlas to Google Maps and:

Vulture Peak Location
drifting cloud

Postby danieLion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:15 am

drifting cloud wrote:You could try looking up "Vulture Peak" on Wikipedia:

Griddhraj Parvat

And then noting that there is also a "Vulture Peak" in the modern state of Bihar, near the city of Rajgir (formerly the capital of Magadha). Punch in the coordinates 25.0019812°N 85.4467034°E from Wiki Atlas to Google Maps and:

Vulture Peak Location

Thanks. That's a little better, but I don't see the five peaks. Do know what they are?
danieLion

Postby drifting cloud » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 pm

danieLion wrote:

Griddhraj Parvat

Vulture Peak Location

Thanks. That's a little better, but I don't see the five peaks. Do know what they are?

No, although as you can see from the Google Maps image it is surrounded by a range of other mountains, so it must be five of those.

If you are that interested I suggest traveling to India and looking for them yourself.
drifting cloud

Postby danieLion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 pm

drifting cloud wrote:
danieLion wrote:

Griddhraj Parvat

Vulture Peak Location

No, although as you can see from the Google Maps image it is surrounded by a range of other mountains, so it must be five of those.

If you are that interested I suggest traveling to India and looking for them yourself.

I so want to. :broke: Also, I see those mountain ranges and assumed the peaks are in them. I'm just trying to figure out if the still exist "by name" as they did in the Buddha's time.
danieLion

Postby cooran » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Hello Daniel,

Many of us have had the inestimable good fortune to visit Vulture's Peak during Pilgrimages.

I wouldn't describe the hills as 'mountains' - you walk to the top to get to Vulture's Peak. The Seven Hills are called Vaibhara, Ratna, Saila, Sona, Udaya, Chhatha, and Vipula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajgir

Search in Google Images on Vultures Peak and you will get hundreds of images.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23 am

cooran wrote:Hello Daniel,

Many of us have had the inestimable good fortune to visit Vulture's Peak during Pilgrimages.

I wouldn't describe the hills as 'mountains' - you walk to the top to get to Vulture's Peak. The Seven Hills are called Vaibhara, Ratna, Saila, Sona, Udaya, Chhatha, and Vipula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajgir

Search in Google Images on Vultures Peak and you will get hundreds of images.

with metta
Chris

Thanks a bunch, Chris. VP's not literally surrounded by them as I imagined. Do you know which of five out of the seven corresponds the five in Thanissaro's note?
danieLion

Postby cooran » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:05 am

Hello Daniel,

Sometimes they are listed as 5 hills - sometimes as 7 hills. The names have changed back and forward over time.

Mentions 7 hills
http://wikitravel.org/en/Rajgir

Mentions 5 hills
http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10. ... 3120304615

with metta,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 am

Fantastic. Thanks agan, Chris. I've got to log off, but I'll look at them later.
danieLion

Postby cooran » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:42 am

Hello Daniel, all,

Very short video (44 seconds) showing Vulture's Peak and (towards the end) the surrounding hills.

Buddhists on Gridhakuta Rajgir's Vulture's Peak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4wRvwtjErk

with metta
Chris
cooran

Postby danieLion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:34 am

Best view yet. Much obliged, Chris. I counted 6 maybe 7.
danieLion

Return to Open Dhamma