Can meditation help you lose weight?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Just thought I'd ask :)
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
Coyote

Re: Can meditation help you lose weight?

Post by Coyote »

Maybe in the sense that when you are more mindful you are less likely to overeat, especially if you are keeping the 6th precept and/or see the benefit in eating only what you need.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

greggorious wrote:Just thought I'd ask :)
A lot of walking meditation would be helpful. ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Burning more calories than one consumes is the only long term weight loss solution that I'm aware of. My understanding is that meditation slows the body's metabolism so on one hand I can see how it might put a damper on weight loss if eating/exercise habits aren't changed. If somehow one could use meditation to gain insight to the psychological roots of why they overeat or avoid enough exercise and then work diligently to resolve those issues, then I suppose it might. This is all theoretical on my part. I'm still trying to motivate myself to start meditating again after a 9 month hiatus that has been accompanied by a 45 pound weight gain. And though that might look like a cause and effect relationship in light of this particular conversation, I can tell you that its laziness on my part that has contributed to both.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

SN 12.63 wrote:When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Meditation can help bring your entire body into better balance. There is some evidence that it is even helpful in alleviating diabetes to some degree.
http://www.diabeteswellbeing.com/medita ... betes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldnt think that meditation alone would be enough though.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
convivium

Post by convivium »

it can help you do the things you need to do to lose weight if you lack self discipline. otherwise, it has nothing to do with it. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: exercise as intensely as possible, be active, eat like a bodybuilder (Paleolithic diet, 6 or 6 meals a day is great foundation). follow an ncaa certified cutting plan on oneresult.com on bodybuilding.com. make it part of your way of life.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

by greggorious » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:41 am

Just thought I'd ask
other then mindful eating...... no

:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Meditation has been used as an antidote to "stress eating". The idea is to relieve stress before eating.

Fig Tree
Ben

Post by Ben »

The most effective way to lose weight is to maintain a calorific deficit so that calories burned is greater than calories eaten. I have received a lot of benefit by using the iphone/android app and website: myfitnesspal which has helped me to develop fitness and lose fat over the past three or more months. I do it as part of a total wellbeing "package" that also includes meditation and good sleep hygiene and is sustainable in the long run.
You can use meditation to counter craving (to over eat) and eventually it will be the only solution. But in the short term if you are looking at increasing your health and wellbeing and shed some excess fat than you should adopt a whole of life approach that includes a calorie controlled diet and an exercise regime that has regular periods of intense cardio-vascular and strength training.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
corrine

Post by corrine »

It is much easier to restrict calories and thereby loose weight by simply eliminating processed food from one's diet. Simple food, fruits, veggies and whole grains, prepared simply with no added fats, can be eaten in larger quantities with fewer calories. Really, you can eat carrot and celery sticks with almost no restrictions. It is concentrated calories, found in fast food and fried food, that cause weight gain. Eating unprocessed foods may also help to eliminate cravings for fat, salt and sugar, as one's palate becomes accustomed to basic tastes and eating for health rather than cravings. Meditation may help one to concentrate the mind on what is important and also to discipline the mind so that it is easier to emotionally 'walk away' from stress eating. From a personal stand point, when I am meditating regularly I find that I am living more mindfully, which helps me to avoid many forms of self indulgence, including over eating and the eating of food that is not helpful.

corrine :smile:
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You may want to consider cutting bread out of your diet if you're trying to lose weight.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
convivium

Post by convivium »

my 60 year old mother follows my advice above (as taught to her independently by the healthy way) and she has lost tons of weight for the first time in her life and is keeping it off. i myself am in better shape then i have ever been in my life. what everyone else has said is subsumed in what i already said. oneresult.com is probably where i would recommend you go, given that i don't know your age or body type and they have free custom plans. moderate intensity cardio 40-50 mins a day, adequate caffeine, and a paleolithic diet more than 3-4 times a day will get you a long way.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
alan...

Post by alan... »

meditation will help in sticking to a permanent change in diet and lifestyle. if you learn to control your urges by sitting and walking meditation you will stick to your diet and exercise routine and lose weight.
convivium

Post by convivium »

oh yeah, and WATER!!! you won't have urges if you cut out sugar and flour etc. with a paleolythic diet, with meals taken frequent enough (up to 7 times daily) to get your metabolism going. q.e.d. :geek: