S.N Goenka

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
knighter

Re: S.N Goenka

Post by knighter »

Hello there

you seem really quite angry makarasilapin
I used to get like that before i completed a
10 day s.n. goenka vipassana course.
Be happy
knighter
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

makarasilapin wrote:
greggorious wrote:I didn't mean for this thread to become so argumentative. I was thinking of going on one of his 10 day retreats, and also want to go on a retreat at Amaravati in London. I like the fact that Theravada retreats are often free of charge, that seems almost Bodhisattva territory :smile:
man, just go to Amravati!
I have close friends who practice regularly at Amravati and on the basis of what they say I would recommend getting teachings there.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

knighter wrote:Hello there

Be happy
knighter

Makarasilapin does not seem angry to me. He/She is just conveying her/his experience.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
knighter

Post by knighter »

Hello there

sorry greggorious i ment to add this
i'd go on both retreats,
for sure.
why go on one if you can go on two.
vipassana is donation only.
Be happy
knighter
knighter

Post by knighter »

Hello there

Prasadachitta it was a joke
just keeping things light hearted.
Be happy
knighter
makarasilapin

Post by makarasilapin »

Be happy
knighter
haha, i'm not angry at all knighter. i know why you might be offended [as Goenka is your teacher?], but it is not my intention to offend you. i think all of my responses here have been reasonable.
knighter

Post by knighter »

Hello there

All good makarasilapin i'm not offended
i was just havin a little joke.
Be happy
knighter
makarasilapin

Post by makarasilapin »

knighter wrote: i was just havin a little joke.
that's something my brother would say! i'm glad i didn't offend you.

be well! :hug:
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Prasadachitta it was a joke
just keeping things light hearted.
Be happy
knighter
Ahh.

Humor is a difficult thing to convey in text.

I think thats why we have these

:rolleye: :jumping: :rofl:
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

retrofuturist wrote: I think it's also quite likely that some of the aspects which are out of scope of the technique are some of those which are less compatible with a secular presentation of vipassana. Recollecting the qualities of the Buddha or the Sangha for example, is going to restrict the more universal appeal of a technique which is not formally aligned to any religious denomination.

This seems odd to me. If its true that Non Buddhists(people who do not go for refuge to the three Jewels) are teaching, I think that may be fair grounds for not regarding them as Buddhist teachers much less "Theravada" teachers.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Prasadachitta wrote:
retrofuturist wrote: This seems odd to me. If its true that Non Buddhists(people who do not go for refuge to the three Jewels) are teaching, I think that may be fair grounds for not regarding them as Buddhist teachers much less "Theravada" teachers.
There is more misinformation in this thread then useful information. All students accept refuge to the three Jewels at that start of the retreat. Assistant teachers more so, because they have been dedicated to and immersed in that technique for a long time. I have a great deal of respect for this tradition, I believe my first 10-day retreat was life-altering and inspired incredible faith in the Dhamma. My main criticism of this tradition [on a very short list], is that Mr. Goenka calls it "secular". It seems U Ba Khin was very clearly teaching a Buddhist tradition, and other lineage heirs who studied under U Ba Khin are also clearly teaching Buddhism. I think the "secular" label is so important to Mr. Goenka because it was his mission to bring this practice back to India.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
convivium

Post by convivium »

There is more misinformation in this thread then useful information.
not from me :roll:
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

convivium wrote:
There is more misinformation in this thread then useful information.
not from me :roll:
You are somewhere between here: :soap: and here: :stirthepot: , and it reads a bit like :alien:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
convivium

Post by convivium »

:rofl:
i'm a philosophy major at uc berkeley.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

convivium wrote::rofl:
i'm a philosophy major at uc berkeley.
:jumping: Now it all makes sense! Good luck with that, philosophy was one of two classes I flunked in my college career, seems I just don't have an aptitude for it.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."

Sutta Nipāta 3.710