the 4 satipatthanas in anapanasati

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

the 4 satipatthanas in anapanasati

Postby Billymac29 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:38 pm

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone practices or practiced anapanasati and if so how one incorporates the 4 foundations of mindfulness in his/her meditation? If so, how did you go about your meditation to see the 4 foundations?
It is said that one may practice anapanasati in such a way in which the 4 satipatthana are included...

Thanks
:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
User avatar
Billymac29
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:07 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: the 4 satipatthanas in anapanasati

Postby Samma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 am

Billymac29 wrote:It is said that one may practice anapanasati in such a way in which the 4 satipatthana are included...



http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"And how is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination?"
[16 steps]
"This is how mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination."

So you migth say the 4 foundations are incorporated in anapanasati. Notice the 16steps in relation to the 4frames, body, feelings, mind, mental objects.

For example, Pa Auk wrote in his short book mindfulness of breathing:
To be mindful of the breath body, in the way we have explained, is body contemplation; to be mindful of the jhana factors of pleasant and neutral feelings is feelings contemplation; to be mindful of the exalted mind is mind contemplation; and to be mindful of things such as the anapana patibhaga-nimitta and the jhana factors is dhammas contemplation. That is to develop
the four foundations of mindfulness (cattaro satipatthana).


Suggest two guides to anapanasati:
http://dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings ... 120810.pdf
http://what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Bh ... athing.htm
Samma
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Re: the 4 satipatthanas in anapanasati

Postby Billymac29 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Samma wrote:
Billymac29 wrote:It is said that one may practice anapanasati in such a way in which the 4 satipatthana are included...



http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"And how is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination?"
[16 steps]
"This is how mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination."

So you migth say the 4 foundations are incorporated in anapanasati. Notice the 16steps in relation to the 4frames, body, feelings, mind, mental objects.


Yes i agree... I was just seeing what other's interpretation of what that actually means is and how that's actually practiced in anapanasati.

For example, Pa Auk wrote in his short book mindfulness of breathing:
To be mindful of the breath body, in the way we have explained, is body contemplation; to be mindful of the jhana factors of pleasant and neutral feelings is feelings contemplation; to be mindful of the exalted mind is mind contemplation; and to be mindful of things such as the anapana patibhaga-nimitta and the jhana factors is dhammas contemplation. That is to develop
the four foundations of mindfulness (cattaro satipatthana).

Suggest two guides to anapanasati:
http://dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings ... 120810.pdf
http://what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Bh ... athing.htm

Very interesting :D thanks for the information
:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
User avatar
Billymac29
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:07 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: the 4 satipatthanas in anapanasati

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm

As Samma stated, the triads correspond very clearly to the four satipatthanas.

Going through the 16 steps is itself the perfect culmination of satipatthana, but it should be pointed out that other meditations, like four elements meditation, corpse meditation, metta meditation, etc. are also very helpful practices.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
User avatar
LonesomeYogurt
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: America

Re: the 4 satipatthanas in anapanasati

Postby Billymac29 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:46 pm

LonesomeYogurt wrote:As Samma stated, the triads correspond very clearly to the four satipatthanas.

Going through the 16 steps is itself the perfect culmination of satipatthana, but it should be pointed out that other meditations, like four elements meditation, corpse meditation, metta meditation, etc. are also very helpful practices.

Oh absolutely... :smile:
the buddha talked about many other meditations..
I was just looking at anapanasati and really looking for different ways of practicing (or interpreting) the 16 steps

with metta
:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
User avatar
Billymac29
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:07 am
Location: New Jersey


Return to Insight Meditation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest