Are there any word-for-word Pali-English translations?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

manas

Are there any word-for-word Pali-English translations?

Postby manas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:58 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Dmytro

Re: Are there any word-for-word Pali-English translations?

Postby Dmytro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 am

Hi Manas,

There's Dhammapada:
http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/ ... _pali3.htm

Kind regards :anjali:

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 am

I saw a couple of verses in the Abhayagiri newsletter in a "tri-linear translation" (if memory serves). It looked like this:
1) pali text
2) literal, word by word equivalents
3) english text

The second line, by itself, never made much sense. However, the role it played in linking lines 1 and 3 together was very powerful. Unfortunately, I have only seen a couple verses and I don't know where to find more. I posted something about this once before on this forum, but I did not get much response (I will double check once the search function is restored).
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

manas

Postby manas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

manas

Postby manas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 am

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am

You may find this reference helpful:

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/pali/
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

manas

Postby manas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 am

mirco

Postby mirco » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 am

"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

mirco

Postby mirco » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 am

It's me again and I've got another one on vocab learning. It's a bit off topic, I know, but I think it still fits in here.

You can do it on your own with cards and Mnemonic. If you're computer hooked, try memrise.
It's still free for a year or so and then they want to make it both, paid and free.
Still, one can create his/her/it's own training course on any theme.

There are already some pāḷi-Courses, probably from people also online here in the forum?
http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/pali/

:-) Warm Regards
"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

bartovan

Postby bartovan » Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 am

There is also "Pali Buddhist Texts: An Introductory Reader and Grammar", by Rune E.A. Johansson (). I bought it secondhand from Amazon, it's interesting and seems well researched (but then again I have no knowledge whatsoever of Pali).

Sekha

Postby Sekha » Sun May 12, 2013 4:48 am

This work is based on the above mentioned DPR. It seems to be relevant to this query:

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

Return to “Pāli”