S.N Goenka

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
convivium

Re: S.N Goenka

Post by convivium »

goenka is perfect for certain people. too bad he's dead and all you get are his videos + ATs (some are better than others). the dharma isn't one size (technique) fits all. it obviously wasn't intended that way if you look at the pali canon. so yeah, go. learn it. but don't believe that it contains all the teachings of the buddha worth learning.
cute puppy ^^
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

convivium wrote:goenka is perfect for certain people. too bad he's dead and all you get are his videos + ATs (some are better than others). the dharma isn't one size (technique) fits all. it obviously wasn't intended that way if you look at the pali canon. so yeah, go. learn it. but don't believe that it contains all the teachings of the buddha worth learning.
cute puppy ^^
Goenka isn't dead.
convivium

Post by convivium »

lol
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
cooran

Post by cooran »

My understanding is that Mr. Goenka is alive and well, and is a highly respected teacher in the Burmese tradition.

His retreats have been attended by large numbers of people in many countries throughout the world over time.

Though he is not my teacher - I have attended four ten day Goenka retreats over the years and found them to be reinvigorating when my practise was becoming lazy.

Much of this thread is unwholesome and unskilfull - please keep discussions polite and respectful, and based on searchable facts.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

greggorious wrote:I didn't mean for this thread to become so argumentative. I was thinking of going on one of his 10 day retreats, and also want to go on a retreat at Amaravati in London. I like the fact that Theravada retreats are often free of charge, that seems almost Bodhisattva territory :smile:
Then go for it. I heartily recommend a ten-day course under the guidance of SN Goenka. I'm beginning to lose count of the number of courses I have done. Just keep in mind that it is structured and you will be asked to practice as per the instructions - while you are there. But if you choose to go to Amaravati instead - well and good. Whatever you choose, I wish you all the very best.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

convivium wrote:goenka is perfect for certain people. too bad he's dead
That is something else you got wrong.
He is alive and well.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

convivium

Post by convivium »

Much of this thread is unwholesome and unskilfull - please keep discussions polite and respectful, and based on searchable facts.
the movement isn't exactly transparent. you sort of have to be a part of it to find out about it. nothing i said was unwholesome or unskillful. not everything is published or available to the 'uninitiated'. the only unwholesome thing about my posts here is being on the internet too much.
convivium

Post by convivium »

no, that was the only thing. i got that wrong because i heard he was very sick years ago, and heard he died somewhere, and stopped paying attention.
Ben

Post by Ben »

convivium wrote:
no, that was the only thing. i got that wrong because i heard he was very sick years ago, and heard he died somewhere, and stopped paying attention.
No, actually you got many things wrong. And your erroneous claim that he is dead is indicative of your use of misinformation to fit your view.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

convivium

Post by convivium »

just because you are told to "just observe sensations" doesn't mean you should stop thinking critically and objectively. if there is something i said that was wrong, then point it out. i only argue to reveal or learn new things.
Goob

Post by Goob »

I'm not a follower of his tradition but I've done two Goenka-retreats and in my opinion the biggest drawback is the assistant teachers. When I have asked them questions at retreats in the past it has become obvious that their knowledge is very limited to what Goenka has told them and that they often are not capable of discussing some of the finer points of the technique, or even acknowledging experiences and thoughts that don't fit into their/Goenkas thought world. I had an email conversation with a regional AT at one point and his serious lack of knowledge of some very basic teachings in the suttas has only reinforced this impression. This has caused me some grief in retreats because it virtually makes you feel like you are on your own with a bunch of tapes, and I sincerely question the over-reliance on tapes and videos to the exclusion of psysically present teachers - the AT's are in my experience not competent enough - for the reason of spreading a sort of package buddhism as far and wide as possible.

Sure, it's Theravada, but it's a neatly packaged, multimedia form of Theravada without reliable teachers.

Regarding Thanissaro critiquing Goenka: He never speaks of Goenka as a person and he admits that he doesn't have much experience with the tradition, but I've listened to talks of his where he strongly criticizes the notion of burning off old sankharas (i.e old khamma!) through the body, and rightly so.
Last edited by Goob on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

convivium wrote:just because you are told to "just observe sensations" doesn't mean you should stop thinking critically and objectively. if there is something i said that was wrong, then point it out. i only argue to reveal or learn new things.
There you go again.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

convivium

Post by convivium »

yes, i've formed impressions based on years of direct experience with the movement.
so far, you seem to be reaffirming them.
Ben

Post by Ben »

convivium wrote:yes, i've formed impressions based on years of direct experience with the movement.
so far, you seem to be reaffirming them.
I am not responsible for your ignorance, convivium.
Your ignorance is your responsibility.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

yes, it is an off-shoot of theravada.
to be specific, it is the burmese tradition known as mahasi .
they call it 'vipassana' meditation.

this is very confusing for many people.
including me at one time.

the meditation goenka teach is just 1 of the many types of buddhist meditation.
even in burma, there is pa auk tradition which contradicts mahasi.

so, if you want to know more, i can go into more details.
just remember that, the goenka way is neither the only way nor the
best way (although his followers will tell you it is the best way).

cheers.