The different objects of walking meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
befriend

Re: The different objects of walking meditation

Post by befriend »

for the buddho practice, do you simply repeat buddho slowly, or do you coincide it with the walking? how is it practiced?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
jackson

Post by jackson »

befriend wrote:for the buddho practice, do you simply repeat buddho slowly, or do you coincide it with the walking? how is it practiced?
Hi Befriend,
Personally I emphasize each syllable as each foot hits the ground. So when the left foot hits I say Bu then in silence be aware of the right foot lifting, moving forward, then when it touches the ground say "dho". It's a great way to cut through the chatter, and it's easy to follow even walking at a regular pace. As someone who spends way too much time in thought I've found it beneficial to practice it continuously throughout the day, but it can be hard to remember to practice it at all times. Anyway, I hope that helps and wish you all the best.
:anjali:
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
befriend

Post by befriend »

that sounds great. thanks, i also like the bud on the in breath and dho on the outbreath while focusing on the breathing. the word buddho has a pleasantness to it that makes it easier for my mind to stay on the breath. metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
jackson

Post by jackson »

befriend wrote:that sounds great. thanks, i also like the bud on the in breath and dho on the outbreath while focusing on the breathing. the word buddho has a pleasantness to it that makes it easier for my mind to stay on the breath. metta, befriend
Hi befriend,
I agree, buddho's awesome! As a bit of an aside, something I've been playing with lately is if I find myself striving to get somewhere in meditation I change it to "Let - Be, Let - Be". I find this helps create a nice sense of contentment and eases any tension. Metta to you too!
:anjali:
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah