Bad thoughts = Bad Karma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Digity

Bad thoughts = Bad Karma?

Postby Digity » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 am

Sometimes something is on my mind that's really bothering me. It's usually has something to do with the way someone acted, which I disapproved of. Often times when I tell other people what happened thye agree that the person was wrong and it was stupid, etc. In these cases I often start having a lot of bad thoughts about the person thinking that they're stupid idiots, etc, etc, etc. I don't want to have these thoughts...I want to be more peaceful, but I can't control it or at least I currently can't control it. I kind of let my mind spew a lot of venom, but I know in the back of my mind it's not right or inline with the Dhamma. Am I creating a lot of negative karma here? I wasn't sure, because it's not like I'm fully intended to be mean towards these people...these thoughts and urges just arise. My intention is to not be this way, but I don't feel like I can control what's arising in the moment. Any advice on how to deal with this more wisely?

BlackBird

Re: Bad thoughts = Bad Karma?

Postby BlackBird » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 am

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect."
- http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... tml#part-5

Any negative mind state and thoughts creates kamma. But don't be so anxious that you create undue suffering for yourself. Is it serious bad kamma? Probably not. Shit happens and some people are idiots. Use it as incentive to try and change. Just try working on your mindfulness, step by step, slowly you'll find you'll get more control over your mind states and find that you don't want to be angry at someone, because it causes yourself pain. Then gradually you'll let go of such things, and start focussing on generating positive states of mind. Do you regularly practice metta also? If not that's another thing that might help.

Sorry that's probably not very helpful, I'm sure others will have better things to say.

metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

ground

Postby ground » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 am

For an excellent and non-superstitious talk about kamma, I highly recommend Ajahn Amaro's "Who's Pulling the Strings" given at Amaravati monastery on the 23rd September 2012 and found at the link (below the Q & A session with the same title)

with kind wishes

Aloka :)
Last edited by Aloka on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 am

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:57 am

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

jackson

Postby jackson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm

"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

manas

Postby manas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 am

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:14 am

Last edited by pegembara on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 am

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:53 am

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 am

manas

Postby manas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Digity

Postby Digity » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”