5 Precepts vs 8 Precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Dhammakid

Re: 5 Precepts vs 8 Precepts

Post by Dhammakid »

Hello Pererin,
What are the practical implications of the First Precept you are having trouble with?

:namaste:
Dhammakid
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I follow the five precepts and attempt to do the 8 on most days. I don't specifically make a vow or chant the precepts, but just attempt to do as many of the 8 daily. For me, not eating beyond noon is easy since I work from home. Not wearing cosmetics is also easy, as is sleeping on a low bed and not listening to music and shows. I guess as I got old, I mostly lost interest in Top 40 music, so it was easy more so than any 'achievement.

I feel better and more relaxed when the 8 are followed. It could be from greater mindfulness or it could be that there is no feeling of guilt when I don't break any of the 8 precepts. Time and meditation will tell. :yingyang: :meditate:
bodom

Post by bodom »

As for me i am waiting until after football season to start observing the Uposatha and 8 precepts. Its the playoffs and it just so happens that the Uposatha days have been falling on saturdays and sundays when its game day. Football is one attachment im not ready to let go of yet lol. Other than that 5 precepts everyday in so far as i am able.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pererin

Post by pererin »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:As for me i am waiting until after football season to start observing the Uposatha and 8 precepts .... Football is one attachment im not ready to let go of yet
Now that's just funny ...

:rofl:
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Hahaha, I agree! I do love me some football though :lol:

I should rededicate myself to following the 8 during the observance days. I feel I will greatly benefit from it.

Dhammakid