A misquote of Ajahn Chah

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Modus.Ponens

A misquote of Ajahn Chah

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hello Cittasanto, all

I recently misquoted Ajahn Chah, afirming that he broke a vinaya rule. I remembered it wrong. On Ajahn Chah's facebook page today, was the description of what realy happened:

Once a layman pleaded with Ajahn Chah to read his future (which he never did). Finally Ajahn Chah gave in and looked at his palms. He said: "I will reveal your future, and I never make a mistake in this." The layman was very excited to know his future. Ajahn Chah said: "Your future ... is uncertain."

I apologise for slandering Ajahn Chah and eventualy inducing people in error.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Re: A misquote of Ajahn Chah

Post by DNS »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Once a layman pleaded with Ajahn Chah to read his future (which he never did). Finally Ajahn Chah gave in and looked at his palms. He said: "I will reveal your future, and I never make a mistake in this." The layman was very excited to know his future. Ajahn Chah said: "Your future ... is uncertain."
That's right! I remember Ajahn Brahm telling that joke/story when he was here in Las Vegas.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What a good way to transform what would be wrong livelihood for a bhikkhu into a teaching of dhamma. I always found this story humorous.

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Isn't aging, sickness and death the only certainties in life?
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Isn't aging, sickness and death the only certainties in life?
You forgot taxes and a mother in law (for the married)...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Thanks MP for reminding us of that story.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Hello Cittasanto, all

I recently misquoted Ajahn Chah, afirming that he broke a vinaya rule. I remembered it wrong. On Ajahn Chah's facebook page today, was the description of what realy happened:

Once a layman pleaded with Ajahn Chah to read his future (which he never did). Finally Ajahn Chah gave in and looked at his palms. He said: "I will reveal your future, and I never make a mistake in this." The layman was very excited to know his future. Ajahn Chah said: "Your future ... is uncertain."

I apologise for slandering Ajahn Chah and eventualy inducing people in error.
Classic Chah :jumping:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

pegembara wrote:Isn't aging, sickness and death the only certainties in life?
Inescapable, not certainties. Are you certain to get sick ?

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
manas

Post by manas »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Once a layman pleaded with Ajahn Chah to read his future (which he never did). Finally Ajahn Chah gave in and looked at his palms. He said: "I will reveal your future, and I never make a mistake in this." The layman was very excited to know his future. Ajahn Chah said: "Your future ... is uncertain."
This is yet another reason why I like Ajahn Chah so much (although not having personally met him, of course). I'm imagining the audience hushed with anticipation...then he comes out with that 'pronouncement'. lol

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.